Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
evilaedmin
Expert
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Eugene V

Enterprise Manager: file restore: "Unable to establish connection with the machine"

Post by evilaedmin »

Hello,

I have Domain A which is where my Veeam B&R Server, Enterprise Manager Server, and Guest Interaction proxy server reside.

I successfully back up and successfully index a VM which is in Domain B, using credentials for that domain.

When I try to restore from within Enterprise Manager I receive a prompt to "Provide guest OS credentials, Unable to establish connection with the machine."

Which machine is initiating this connect, and what credentials is it looking for?

The Enterprise Manager ports and planning and preparation doesn't mention any particular network ports required for Windows Guest OS File restore.

Thank you,
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Enterprise Manager: file restore: "Unable to establish connection with the machine"

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it's hard to make a good guess which connection fails. It makes a difference whether it was indexed or not, it could be a windows firewall setting... so I suggest to ask support to check the logs. They can tell you where exactly the problem is. Please also post the case number here for reference.

Thanks,
Hannes
evilaedmin
Expert

Re: Enterprise Manager: file restore: "Unable to establish connection with the machine"

Post by evilaedmin »

Hello Hannes,

I found that it is my Gateway server which is trying to communicate with the Guest directly. My gateway is Mount Server for StoreOnce 5500 repository. I guess this is under the requirement:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... ports.html
Guest interaction proxy
or
Mount server
To Microsoft Windows VM guest OS
TCP, UDP
137 to 139,
(etc.)

Is there anywhere I can find information on the "Or" clause? To ask another way: Can I find information on which circumstances use Guest Interaction Proxy for Guest OS File restore, and which use Mount Server? Can I force EM and VBR to use Guest Interaction Proxy for restore instead of Mount Server?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, mount server requires access to the guest OS during FLR to the original location. Guest interaction proxy is a bit different story that is involved in case the VM and the backup server are located in different networks, so I don't think this is applicable.
evilaedmin
Expert

Post by evilaedmin »

VM and backup server are on different networks. I feel the documentation could be enhanced to explain these scenarios and avoid use of the "Or" statement. Or add a footnote, please.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I will pass your feedback to the documentation team. Thanks!