Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lucius_the
Enthusiast
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: David

Error in the application (with some hints of what might have caused it)

Post by lucius_the »

Just to report something, that I believe could be of interest to Veeam R&D.
For my needs I am using Community Edition (Veeam B&R build 11.0.1.1261) installed on a Windows Server 2012 R2 machine. Backups are going from a single ESXi host to DAS on the server. Then, I have an offsite copy, target repo is on a Windows 10 machine at a remote site.

This setup works fine, more than a year now, very few issues. Yesterday I got the "Error in the application" error on my offsite copy job. I've read some posts on the forum mentioning that this is a windows app crash, or something like that. I have reason to believe that the target machine (the Windows 10 machine) used to host the offsite copies, was restarted right about at that time, when this error happened. This probably caused the error to appear. Knowing this, perhaps the app could handle such a scenario in a way that is more descriptive - "target repository was lost", or something like that instead of "error in the application".

But, I know the target machine for offsite backup got very slow (that was the reason for a restart) so it's also possible that the Veeam data mover (or whatever component is used at that time at a remote repo) either crashed or was forcibly closed during machine shutdown, so that really is not an issue that Veeam would need to resolve. In any case I wanted to report about it, because maybe you would be interested in handling such scenario with a more useful error - when a remote component suddenly stops responding - which, I think, might have been the case here with my yesterdays offsite copy run.

Cheers,
David
lucius_the
Enthusiast
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: David

Re: Error in the application (with some hints of what might have caused it)

Post by lucius_the »

P.S. I've run the job again today and it completed as usual, no more errors.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Error in the application (with some hints of what might have caused it)

Post by veremin »

Without the debug logs and access to virtual and backup infrastructures, we cannot verify the actual root cause of the issue. If the problem persists, you might want to contact our support team to investigate it further. Hopefully, it won't be necessary cause most likely it was restart that led to this error, but you never know. Thanks!