Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sbernard
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: steve bernard

Error replicating W2K3 DC - failed to freeze guest

Post by sbernard »

using v 2.0.1.164

using replication to put a copy of a windows 2003 domain controller in a test environment. Disable perform backup even if VSS fails.

Give the following error after less than 5 minutes.

Releasing VM files VSSFreezer: Failed to freeze guest, wait timeout

any thoughts?
Ben Milligan
Expert
Liked: 40 times

Re: Error replicating W2K3 DC - failed to freeze guest

Post by Ben Milligan »

VSS Freezer has a maximum timeout of 60 secs for the snapshot to be taken of the guest while the I/O is stopped to ensure data consistency. Do you have similar delays when attempting a manual snapshot using Snapshot Manager?

For the most thorough understanding of the problem, please send your logs from Help>Support Information to Support(at)Veeam.com.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hello, I also recommend that you upgrade to version 3.0 unless you have reasons not to do this.
marcbo
Novice
Full Name: marcbo

Post by marcbo »

did you try to disable quiesce VM for this Job ?
sbernard
Novice
Full Name: steve bernard

Post by sbernard »

Yes, that made the replication post as successful, but DC is still not operational... Need to do some more homework. Thanks.
marcbo
Novice
Full Name: marcbo

Post by marcbo »

ok
let me explain

when you check the box , "wmware tools quiesce VM" you initiate Vmware tools to quiesce vm and flush io file system , there is no vss implementation for this feature , it's just the "quiesce vm" feature and you are "crash consistent" .
when you check the box , "Enable vss integration" you inititiate vss and you are " transactionnal consistent " , veeam initiate vss api for backup.
it's two differents case

the vmware tools released at esx 3.5 update 2 made vss integration possible but supported with VCB backup command

in my case , i don't quiesce VM , and my Dcs are operationnal after restore , i test it several times !!! (because VSS made the job initiated by veeam).

Maybe , im wrong ...but my DCs stay operational after restore and restart in "non authorittive restore mode" this is default behavior of veeam restore job

Question : did you test to restore a DC with no other Dc online ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Marcbo, you are right. You do not need to use regular quiescence if you use VSS integration since VSS does all that simple file system quiescence operations PLUS much more (application-aware quiescence).

Just to clarify this for everyone.
- In Veeam Backup 2.0, there was a requirement to disable VMware quiescence when using Veeam VSS because it used to conflict with VMware VSS implementation added in ESX 3.5 Update 2 and snapshot used to fail to create.
- In Veeam Backup 3.0, this is done automatically for you (VMware quiescence is disabled automatically if you enable Veeam VSS in the backup job wizard).

sbernard, if you still have problems with Veeam VSS failing to freeze guest, please send us all logs for investigation.