Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
riahc3
Expert
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: John

Error when doing a sytem restore

Post by riahc3 »

I usually test my restores every 1-2 weeks.....Had a lot of work so couldnt do it.

And today boom:

Error Restore job failed Error: Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Incorrect decompression result or length (result: '991638', expected length: '1048576'). Failed to download disk. Agent failed to process method {DataTransfer.SyncDisk}.

The thing, Im trying to exact files from the backup and that does seem to be working.

From what I gather, Veeam tries to calculate a checksum ,it fails and it aborts it.

Is there any way to extract a VDMK without having Veeam check if it is valid?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Incorrect decompression result or length

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
sounds like your backup storage lost data https://www.veeam.com/kb1795

The recommended way would be using data from your backup copy.

But as you are asking how to extract... well, if the extract tool / VBR does not work, then the data is lost.

Best regards,
Hannes
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Failed to decompress LZ4 block: Incorrect decompression result or length

Post by PetrM »

Hi John,

Most likely file level restore works without errors because it does not require data sitting in a corrupted block.
Other restore operations (Entire VM restore, hard disk restore etc.) validate every block of virtual disk which is being restored from backup.

I'd suggest to contact our support team, in rare cases it might be possible to use custom Data Mover which ignores corrupted blocks and restores
zeroed blocks instead. But it's not possible to guarantee that everything will be fine even in this case because data is partially damaged.
Please ask our support team to check if this workaround is applicable in your situation or not.

Thanks!