Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
K12TechInME
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Aaron Hamlen

ESX4 To ESX5 Cluster

Post by K12TechInME »

We need to move two servers one file and the other sql to our Vcenter 5 cluster. I've used quick migration for a couple vm's without any errors the quick migration failed last night on our sql server. Should we use replication for the
two servers? File server has over 2.4 TB of data sql is approx 400 GB. Veeam is new to us trying to figure out best practices. Thanks to all
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: ESX4 To ESX5 Cluster

Post by veremin »

What particular error you got? Both quick migration and replication jobs are applicable migration means. Thanks.
K12TechInME
Novice

Post by K12TechInME »

It's case # 00980263. I'm looking at the server.
K12TechInME
Novice

Post by K12TechInME »

What log are you looking for on the server? Our requirement is to keep the servers up with minimal downtime. What type of job would work best replication?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I was not looking for a log, but more for an error you got inside backup console during migration.

As I've said, both quick migration and replication should work fine for the described scenario. Replication will allow to preserve original copy for some time, though.

Thanks.
lando_uk
Veteran
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Mark

Post by lando_uk » 1 person likes this post

Hi I've been doing a similar exercise over the last few months.

If possible we always do cold quick migrations, its longer downtime but we can tell people the exact maintenance outage rather than letting the VM's change automatically.

For larger VM's over about 200GB, we use replication to seed the copy first, shut down the source VM and then do a final rep once its turned off before turning on the new copy. This method has worked well with many VMs, from big SQL to Large Exchange DB servers.