Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Truncate Exchange log file?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 pm

Hi Torben, logs truncation is replicated between DAG nodes, so if you truncate logs on the passive node, this will automatically happen on other nodes as well.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1110 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Backing up Exchange DAG with Veeam concerns ?

Veeam Logoby albertwt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:35 am

People,

I've got 4 nodes DAG that contains mixed of Active & Passive mailboxes, as per this article: https://www.veeam.com/kb1744 it mentions on the below:
Use Network (NBD) mode setting on Source Backup Proxy as opposed to Appliance (hotadd) mode for your backup and/or replication jobs in Veeam.

Which is quite slow ?
So why the faster mode HodAdd is not suggested to backup the DAG node?

Regards,

Al

Case# 02215952
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
albertwt
Expert

Liked: 20 times

Re: Exchange 2010 DAG backup ?

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:02 pm

Have you tried to backup via hotadd? Have you actually seen any of the mentioned symptoms? Steps outlined in the KB are just suggestions to eliminate the issues, which are environment-specific, so chances are you do not need to follow them. This topic contains other considerations as well.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Yes, only if you face the described error.
If you need more background infromations, you can read my blog post:
http://andyandthevms.com/exchange-dag-v ... plication/
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 374 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

[MERGED] Backup of Exchange DAG

Veeam Logoby jochot » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:07 pm

Hey,

so in this post: https://www.veeam.com/blog/how-to-backu ... ation.html
It says:
If you have enough storage space, create a single backup job for all of your DAG nodes. This will most likely result in better deduplication ratio.
In the next line:
If you want to backup DAG nodes in separate backup jobs, make sure that the schedules don’t overlap and also that all VMs are not being snapshotted at the same time.

So I'm wondering, why it is good to put them into one job, if it shouldn't be done at the same time.

We have 3 Exchange Servers, which are replicating the databases.
So if I start the backup job (when all of those are in one Job), does Veeam know that the data on all the servers is basically the same and therefore backs up only one of those databases?
Or are all 3 Databases backed up seperately?
I would think Veeam backs up one of them and sees that the data is the same (deduplication), but I couldn't find an answer anywhere.
jochot
Enthusiast

Liked: never

Re: Backup of Exchange DAG

Veeam Logoby pesos » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:59 am

Curious what the reason is for backing up more than one DAG node if you're just going to rely on the duplicated DB data being deduped? Veeam can only dedupe per job afaik so you'd have to have them in the same job to even get this to work... and deduping the DB would kind of defeat the purpose of backing up more than one node from what I can see.

If it's the system drives you're after (which could be handy) then I'd put them all in one job and exclude the data drive(s) from all but one of the nodes...
pesos
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: John Johnson

Re: Backup of Exchange DAG

Veeam Logoby jochot » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:29 pm

So when I only backup one, and all of them burn down, I can only restore one, right?
Thats why I want to backup all of them

So When I backup the DB from one node and the other drive of all the other nodes, I can restore one full Exchange Server and 2 Exchange servers without the Databases, right?
Is there a possibility to restore the database separately for those 2?
jochot
Enthusiast

Re: [MERGED] Backup of Exchange DAG

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 pm

jochot wrote:So I'm wondering, why it is good to put them into one job, if it shouldn't be done at the same time.

Different jobs will try to snapshot the same VM twice, which is not recommended.

jochot wrote:So if I start the backup job (when all of those are in one Job), does Veeam know that the data on all the servers is basically the same and therefore backs up only one of those databases?

No, it will back everything up but similar blocks will be then deduped within a backup file.

Please see recommendations on DAG backup in this thread.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:24 am

I would say that best practices is to put the DAG members in different Jobs and to schedule on different times.

If for whatever reasons the DAG Cluster heartbeat detect the VMware Snapshot release as a downtime of one of the DAG members it will failover to the other DAGs.
The index service will peak CPU and do a lot of stuff on the disks then, which lead into a high change rate on disk at that time and it will fill (if you backup at same time) the snapshot of the other DAG members. Now when the backup ends it will commit again the VM snapshot and because of all the changes, it is more likely that the other DAG member run into the same issue and DAG detect as well that this server is down and failover again.

This is not bad from User view as the database is online on their view. Double cluster failovers in a short timeframe can lead into long time 100% CPU usage of Exchange Server (Index Service and others) which in the end can lead into disconnects and timeouts at the clients. This should be avoided.

As well a failover during backup lead into the situation that the Exchange Log can not be committed. Depending on the setup this is an issue and can lead into downtimes (disk full).

So there are good reasons not to use the same job to get the deduplication benefits. External deduplication with Microsoft or Storage can help here if the data amount is a problem.

If you only want to backup the OS disks and a single DAG member you can place the disks of the OS only VM into independant, so that they do not gather changes for those disks in the snapshot. => No problem to commit the snapshot. Important here is to disable the Log Truncation in the Inguest processing for the OS only backup Servers.
Veeam support to backup a single DAG member with inactive, active or mix of both databases and our Veeam Explorer can restore mails and objects from this (as well from inactive databases). Logfile truncations are replicated from the server that backup the databases to all other servers. Important is to monitor this replication within the Windows Event log.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 374 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

[MERGED] Exchange Failover DAG Environment

Veeam Logoby rohin.kurian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:48 pm

Support Case ID: 02253325

When doing backups for my exchange DAG environment the databases failover. All nodes are on separate jobs at different times not overlapping. The max timeout has been applied and actually worked for some time last year. At this point, it has been over a year and we have no solutions to resolve this issue. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Rohin
rohin.kurian
Lurker

Full Name: Rohin Kurian

Re: Exchange Failover DAG Environment

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Rohin and welcome to the community!

Please review this existing discussion related to backup of DAG environments.
Also, check this blog-post written by one of our Solution Architects, I hope it should give you some thoughts on how to resolve the issue. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 61 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication