Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rreed
Veteran
Liked: 72 times

Exchange 2013 Mailbox Restore - Cannot Open Mailbox/Rights

Post by rreed »

Morning, all. Veeam v9, Exchange 2013, trying to restore an entire mailbox. I mount my store, select my user, Restore Folder, Mailbox: <this user@our domain>, Use current account: <my admin account that has no mailbox on the Exchange server but is domain/Exchange admin> (or veeam credentials also no mailbox/yes domain/Exchange admin makes no difference), specify CAS: either our CAS (or direct FQDN of my target server makes no difference); Next immediately pops up "Cannot open mailbox '<this user@our domain>' Please check whether the specified account has sufficient rights."

I've added my admin and veeam accounts full access, I've set them both to impersonate, I've removed default deny on the database, I've given time for AD to replicate. Nothing seems to affect this. Help please?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
Dell TL2000 via PE430 (SAS)
rreed
Veteran

Re: Exchange 2013 Mailbox Restore - Cannot Open Mailbox/Righ

Post by rreed »

The commands ran on my target Exchange server:

Add-MailboxPermission –Identity “<my user@mydomain” -User “<my admin account>” -AccessRights FullAccess –InheritanceType All

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Name "Mailbox_Restore" -Role ApplicationImpersonation -User "<my admin account>"

Get-MailboxDatabase -identity “my target db” | Add-ADPermission -user "<my admin account>" -AccessRights GenericAll

It might also be relevant this is due to accidental deletion of the user's domain account/mailbox. I restored the AD account w/o issue (nicely done, Veeam). Service Desk was in a pinch to quell the incoming non-existent mail user bounces so they hand-created a new mailbox for him so there would be something there to catch new mail while the restore happens. So I'm technically not restoring the mailbox itself I suppose, but attempting all the items to this new mailbox, if that makes sense.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Please take a look at this thread and feel free to contact support if nothing helps.
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

I've tried typing in either our CAS (no legitimate load balancer for us) and the direct server, same results either way. Otherwise, as mentioned I've attempted the methods indicated in your thread.

I'll contact support and report back w/ my ticket number.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

To help right-size my expectations and my understanding, in any case a user's mailbox gets deleted completely - not just items but entire mailbox gone - do I need to create a blank empty mailbox for the user first? Or can I right-click and Restore/Restore-to and Veeam puts back the entire mailbox from scratch?

I see the documentation indicates restoring mailbox 'items' directly back to Exchange server, and exporting and entire 'mailbox' to .pst, but for my case when the helpdesk whoopsies and deletes an entire mailbox?
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
rreed
Veteran

Post by rreed »

Ticket #01862199.
VMware 6
Veeam B&R v9
Dell DR4100's
EMC DD2200's
EMC DD620's
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

rreed wrote:do I need to create a blank empty mailbox for the user first?
Yes, you need to have a mailbox created on the target server to restore all the contents to it.