Exchange Database Restore

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Exchange Database Restore

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:11 am

This may be a silly question, but I can't find any Veeam documentation anywhere, regarding Exchange database restores - only mailbox/item level restores.
Is this possible with Veeam? If so, which tool? (Exchange Explorer/SQL Explorer/FLR etc).

I'm sure I read that it was possible, but reviewing the documentation - I'm starting to doubt myself.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: 20 times

Re: Exchange Database Restore

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:13 am

Isn't this something you're looking for? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1020 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:17 am

I believe the OP is talking about restoring the entire Exchange database file, which can be performed via FLR.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks foggy - that's what i meant.
Is there any special processes or instructions for the restore, or is it just a standard file restore - and handover to the Exchange admin?
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:39 am

Could you please elaborate on the scenario? I'm asking, since if you just restore a single .EDB file without the corresponding transaction logs, it might be in a "dirty shutdown" state and would require repair (using eseutil) to be further mounted to the live Exchange server.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ferrus » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:57 am

Not entirely sure.
Our Exchange Admin is in he final stages of checking our Veeam Exchange configuration, before migrating off the previous Exchange backup product.
So far it has ticked all the boxes (and of course, outperformed it with regard to speed 8) ), but this is one of the scenario's she's asked us about.

I've just spoken to her, and she acknowledges that it's a 'Last Resort' situation - but we have been close to that scenario, once previously.
The old backup product had the ability to restore an .edb to a new database, and check if it was in a dirty shutdown state.

Sorry - I haven't done Exchange for a few years, so don't really know what's involved. Just need to know that if the situation arises, we can recover Exchange databases from Veeam backups.
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:38 pm

Got it. Anyway, you can do this type of restore and if you pick up the logs along with the DB from the same backup, you should be fine.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Restoring 2013 Exchange Database

Veeam Logoby mcp33 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:39 am

HI

I am trying to write a procedure on how to restore a corrupted Exchange 2013 database, but there seems to be no or little information on this (Restoring a mailbox is really simple , Well done Veeam).

So lets say one of my database's get corrupted what are the steps to restore this back to a working database ?

1 Dismount the corrupted database
2 Stop replicated and remove the second database and logs (Remove-MailboxDatabase -Identity MailboxDatabase01)
3 rename or move the database/logs to another location
4 restore the database and logs to the original location (do I still need to use ESEUTIL?)
5 Once restored do I need to replay the logs so no email is missing ?

Thanks for any tips

Michael
mcp33
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Mike parker

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication