Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mlazzareschi
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mike Lazzareschi

existing Veeam snapshot causes failed backup

Post by mlazzareschi »

We had an issue where our backup server crashed and rebooted while backing up a couple of our servers. After the reboot, the Veeam snapshot was still in place and the job failed. Is there a way to remove the snapshots through Veeam as opposed to removing the snapshots through vCenter?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: existing Veeam snapshot causes failed backup

Post by Gostev »

When the job starts, first it always looks for its own snapshot possibly left from previous job cycle, and (if found) attempts to remove it automatically. If the snapshot cannot be removed automatically for some reason (which is not usual), then backup would fail, and you will have to remove the snapshot manually.

Sounds like in your case some snapshot files are still locked, preventing snapshot removal through VMware API. I would guess you will not be able to remove this snapshot from vSphere Client either, because it uses same VMware API calls as our product does.

Thanks.
joergr
Veteran
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Joerg Riether

Re: existing Veeam snapshot causes failed backup

Post by joergr »

I agree with Anton. Try to shutdown your VMs on that ESX/i machine, make sure you are not running out of space on your lun where this vm is located, consolidation takes space, then try to remove the snapshot with vSphere GUI, if that won´t work, you may try to reboot the ESX/i machine and try to remove the snapshot via GUI again. If it won´t work then, please don´t try to consolidate with TSM or other tweaks - instead, please file a support request with vmware.
Best regards,
Joerg