Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Fail-over interfered by backup jobs

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi,
Learned the hard way that a fail-over can be interfered by standard backup jobs. When you start a planned fail-over, the actual job consists of a number of sub-jobs that each again have to wait for backup resources to be available. So what happened is that just before the end of the first sync, the backups started and took up so much resources that the second sync hung until a number of backup jobs had finished (or killed by me).

Would be great if a failover job, once running, could get priority over backup jobs for the sub-jobs.

(This was all on Hyper-V)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Fail-over interfered by backup jobs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
what do you mean with "sub jobs" as Veeam does not have "sub jobs"? :-)

Could you describe your job configuration a little bit more in detail? Because in general "restore" has priority over "backup".

Thanks,
Hannes
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert

When you perform a failover of a VM (replication) a session is started. In the session you see jobs / steps / actions like: "Applying failover snapshot" or "power on replica" or "performing incremental replication".
What I meant is that in between two of those tasks suddenly the Hyper-V host (source or target I'm not sure) was no longer available because of backup jobs running.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I just tested whether a backup job an interfere a planned failover and I could not see any issues. I expect that you still talk about "planned failover" and not simple (unplanned) failover. The backup job knows that the VM is in failover state and does no backup.

Code: Select all

Machine is locked by another task
Error: The operation is not allowed in the current state. 	

To investigate what happend with your Hyper-V host, I suggest to open a case at Microsoft. You can also open a Veeam case, but not sure whether Veeam support can help if a Hyper-V host is not available.

Best regards,
Hannes
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert

Ah, I see the confusion.... no it is not the backup of VM A that interferes with the failover of VM A, but the the backup job of VM B.

A Hyper-V host running VM A and VM B, has only a limited amount of concurrent tasks it can run, if I start failover of VM A it will start the sync and then take a "slot" on that host to perform its task. Then the backup of VM B, C, D, E will start and also take a number of slots, as much as possible. If now the failover of VM A has finished the first sync and is working to start the next sync, the backup of VM F could kick in and take that last available slot. Now the failover has to wait for the backup of either B,C,D,E,F to finish.