Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DavidMarin
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Marin

Failback and traffic throttling

Post by DavidMarin »

Hi there,

we have an scenario with a production and DR sites with a Veeam proxy in each site.
The replication jobs works over a wan line and uses the traffic rules, but when we try to test a failover -> failback to production scenario the failover process don't use the traffic rules between proxies.

Is that normal or is a problem related to the traffic throttling rules?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Failback and traffic throttling

Post by foggy »

David, have you picked up the proxy servers both in source and target sites during the failback wizard?
DavidMarin
Novice

Post by DavidMarin »

No, the wizard don't permit to select any proxy server, only asks for replica, destination (host, resource pool, datastore and VM folder) and network parameters.

I've read the manual again and I think I've found the problem. In the manual you can read:
"Please keep in mind that throttling rules are reversible"
but it also says:
"When a new job starts, Veeam Backup & Replication checks network traffic throttling rules against a pair of backup proxies assigned for the job"

I've setup up a symetric traffic rule for the scenario of DR site proxy starting a data transfer to the primary site and NOW it works.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Great, glad you've nailed it. Thanks for the update.

P.S. Just to let you know that you can select backup proxies to perform data transfer during failback by clicking the Pick backup proxy for data transfer link at the Destination step of the Failback wizard.
DavidMarin
Novice

Post by DavidMarin »

You are right.
I've manually selected the right proxies and the job runs more quickly, but I dont now why, the traffic throttling rules don't work.

The production site proxy has two network interfaces, one for iscsi storage network, and the other for the "normal" traffic, and this situation may produce confussion at the traffic rules evaluation.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

So I'm a bit confused whether it finally works or not:
DavidMarin wrote:I've setup up a symetric traffic rule for the scenario of DR site proxy starting a data transfer to the primary site and NOW it works.
but
DavidMarin wrote:I've manually selected the right proxies and the job runs more quickly, but I dont now why, the traffic throttling rules don't work.
Could you please clarify?