Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

failed to connect to cloud provider

Post by frankive »

One of my customer (we are service provider with cloud connect) fails to connect when running backup copy job.
Only error message is failed to connect to port:6180.
No other customer to our cloud connect service has any problems.
the customer has only one hyper-v host with 1 VM.
We can also telnet to port 6180 to our CC service from the customers network server.

caseid: 00723885

We have tried pretty much all of the standard troubleshooting I have learned the last years :)
frankive
Service Provider

Re: failed to connect to cloud provider

Post by frankive »

The problem wass that the windows server hosting the repository did not have internet connection. Didn't know that it had to have a route to internet..
Case closed.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Frank, yes for backup copy jobs, the transfer is always repository-to-repository, even in a Cloud Connect scenario. So, the sender that needs to connect to the Cloud Connect gateway in this case is the repository machine.

thanks,
Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Great to have learned that :) I thought the repository was just a "dumb" filestorage and no particular software (agent) was running on this server. Is this the case if the repository f.ex was a samba share too or just if it is a native windows server?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

No, in case of CIFS type repository, Veeam data mover runs on a dedicated gateway server or Veeam B&R server itself (by default).
frankive
Service Provider

Post by frankive »

Great, thanks for feedback!
chavron
Novice
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Chris H

Post by chavron »

A bit old, I know, but my concern is relevant to the topic at-hand.

I was experiencing the same problem in connecting to my cloud provider regarding not being able to connect to port 6180. I noticed that I could, however, send standard Backup jobs to the cloud provider. As stated earlier in the thread, the repository server requires internet access for backup copy jobs to be sent to the cloud provider. Adding an internet gateway to the repository server solved the error, but leaves with us with a problem.

As a policy, our backup servers do not maintain active internet connections for security reasons. Since our Veeam repository exists on a backup server which uses rotating drives to copy the data off the repository, it needs to remain on the said backup server.

Which configuration settings do I need to change in Veeam in order to allow the workstation with the Veeam client to facilitate the transfer of a backup copy job to the cloud provider in a similar way the Backup jobs are copied as opposed to a direct repository-to-repository connection (which would require me to add an internet gateway to the backup server)?

Thanks.
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

Chris,
on a backup job, the communication is proxy -> repository. BEcause you are using Cloud Connect, the repository is for you the address of Cloud Connect itself.
For Backup Copy job, the communication is repository -> repository. So, in this case, it's the local repository that has to reach Cloud Connect over the internet.

Based on where the different component is installed in your environment, you have to enable egress firewall rules. Seems to me like Veeam server is also the default proxy, and it's the reason why backup jobs work without any additional configuration, while a different server is a repository. For backup copy jobs using this server as the source, you need new firewall rules to consume Cloud Connect.
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
mongie
Expert
Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Alex Macaronis

Post by mongie »

Luca, while this thread is open, I might hijack it for my own personal issue.

I'm currently running a test of Cloud Connect (500GB/2Weeks) and I've managed to allow traffic to get up to the cloud, but I'm now having dificulty running single item restores. I go through the wizard and select restore points etc, but then the mounting stage just goes for ages (10mins +) and eventually times out.

I don't see any failed traffic on my firewall, so I'm guessing it might be an issue with the provider (and I've raised this with them) but Just wondering if there is some other mysterious port that is required for Windows FLR restores from Cloud Connect?

Thanks
dellock6
Veeam Software

Post by dellock6 »

No, there's no special port requirement for FLR.

I suggest to open a support case yourself as an end user, and let us know our support team who's your service provider. In this way, if they've also opened a ticket, our support team can match the two tickets and speed up the resolution.

Luca
Luca Dell'Oca

@dellock6
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Alex, I'm wondering what kind of connection you have to the given SP? Thanks.
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

It's just over the internet.

I did notice we had only allowed TCP/6180 and not UDP. We've made that change now, but I haven't checked the result yet.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

I was mostly asking about connection speed. Thanks.
mongie
Expert

Post by mongie »

Oh, sorry.

I've tried from two sites, one with 60Mb internet, one with 80Mb.
jcavalear
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Joe Cavalear

Post by jcavalear »

I see that this subject is quite old but I have not found any other post that seems relevant to my issue.

A few days a go some of my Backup Copy jobs to iland started to fail with timeout errors. This is one of the messages in the error reports when the jobs fail:"Unable to access target repository Error: No cloud gateways are available: failed to validate certificates of some gateways"

I've checked the connection from my Exagrid repository to iLand and it pings fine. I've also tested name resolution of the iland repository on my B & R server. One the B & R server I've also tested all 4 IP addresses of the iLand Cloud repository using PowerShell and these all connect on port 6180.

I've worked with iLand and they had my try to add a registry key to bypass the certificate validation: HKEY_Local_Machine/Software/Veeam/Veeam Backup and Replication: added key "CloudConnectCRLCheckMode" witha a decimal value of 2. This did not make a difference and I still have some jobs failing while other jobs succeed?

My Veeam Case # is: 04043232

Any help out there while I'm waiting on Veeam and iLand support would be appreciated. It definitely seems like an issue with validating the Certificate but why some jobs work while others don't seems odd.

Thanks Joe
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hard to say as there could be many reasons... so it's usually impossible to name the root cause without seeing debug logs and/or your environment.

Kindly, keep working with our support team on investigating this issue.

Thanks!