Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$

Veeam Logoby rafael.reimer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:54 pm

Hello,

We are deploying an environment based on Windows 2012 R2 STD in a workgroup ( not domain ). At the moment in wich i try to add any Managed Server i receive the message: "Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$".

Note: I am NOT using the local "Administrator" to do this, i create an account named "adm.veeam" on servers within the "Administrators" group. If i try to "\\server\c$" with my "adm.veeam" i can't login in the server share.

But, if i try to use the "LOCALHOSTSERVER\Administrator" i can connect in the Windows Explorer and install the Veeam agents.

In a search in the forum i see some references to make some registry entries and all are done. So, why i can't use the created account to connect in the servers and install Veeam ?
rafael.reimer
Service Provider

Liked: never
Full Name: Rafael Reimer

Re: Failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$

Veeam Logoby vmniels » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:41 am

It basically means that the account (adm.veeam) you are using does not have access to the ADMIN$ share on the machine you are trying to deploy the Proxy services to. As you have tried to connect to it and you get a failure.

Could you check if remote UAC is enabled? If this is you can disable it with the following reg key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System.

Create a DWORD value called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy and assign it a value of 1.

Then all you need is a reboot of the server and it should work fine.
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be
vmniels
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Veeam Logoby denit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Niels,

Is disabling UAC really the only way forward?
Reason i ask this is because i have installed more than one Veeamserver and infrastructure and i never disabled this.

However, today i have installed another veeamserver and i get this error when adding a proxy.
The proxy resolved by DNS perfectly, i have disabled the firewalls on veeamserver and proxy and i have tried several admin accounts.

This must be a simple thing to solve, but i am baffled at the moment.
denit
Influencer

Full Name: Denit Support

Veeam Logoby denit » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:29 pm

I managed to solve it, it was my own mistake probably.
I checked everything from scratch again, username (and specially how i type it) , servername, firewall.

I noticed the firewall is not the issue.
I think it was the way i typed the username. I was using local useraccounts and i have doubts on how to type that in the credentials screen. Because of this i created a domain\username and added it to the local administrators group on the proxies.

This seemed to do it. I had trouble with the local accounts by adding them like this ".\username".
I should, next time, immediately create domain service accoutns only.
denit
Influencer

Full Name: Denit Support

Veeam Logoby annhwebster » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you, I had the same issue. ".\username" was the solution
annhwebster
Service Provider

Full Name: Ann Webster

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication