Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
drakecooper
Novice
Liked: never

Failed to start PerlSoap protocol on new Ubuntu 16.04 repo.

Post by drakecooper »

Greetings,

I have a ticket open on this, but while I wait for the back and forth, I thought I'd see if anyone on the forums has run into this.

I'm installing a new linux repo server. Fresh install of 16.04.2. Followed the new KB article here: https://www.veeam.com/kb2216. Uninstalled the default 64 bit perl with apt-get. Built 32 perl from source using perlbrew. Made sure all the modules and other prereqs were installed from the KB article.

I can add the new server to Managed Servers without issue. When I try to add a repo on it, when I get to the "Server" screen, I choose that server and click "Populate". After a few minutes of spinning, it throws a pop-up error "Failed to start the PerlSoap Protocol". I've tried multiple Ubuntu versions, multiple perl versions, nothing seems to work. I have several other Ubuntu repo servers that I built in the last 2 years with no problems. Had one of the secondary ones fail, and that's why I'm building the new one. Just can't seem to get this done, and I don't remember having any problems like this in the past.

I found this forum post: post232246.html?hilit=perlsoap#p232246

Which is the exact same problems, except on FreeBSD, but the solution of adding the perl-Data-Dumper mod does not work for me (it's already installed). Has anybody run into this recently?

Thanks,
Joe Boren
drakecooper
Novice

Re: Failed to start PerlSoap protocol on new Ubuntu 16.04 re

Post by drakecooper »

Just in case anyone else runs into this, the issue I was having was related to the user account not being able to sudo without the password. I had added the line:

veeamuser ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL

to the sudoers file, but it was being overridden by a line later in the file. When I moved that line to the end of the sudoers file, everything works as expected.

Cheers!
Joe
pnunn
Novice
Full Name: Peter Nunn

[MERGED] Adding a 64bit Ubuntu backup repository.

Post by pnunn »

Hi Folks,

I'm new to Veeam and have a test lab I've set up to get my hands dirty with this before I put it into production. I've managed to get vmware, linux storage box and veeam (9.5) up and running but have hit a hurdle with adding a backup repository (the linux box) and I assume its due to the 32 bit perl requirement. I've searched high and low for a way to install the "32 bit compatibility mode" for of perl on ubuntu 16.04 but can't find it any where. I've managed to install the perl modules that are required, but I'm getting perlSoap errors when I try and look at the storage device in the add repository workflow.

Can some one who has fought with this and won please point me in the right direction? I assume this should be a relatively easy thing to get around because its a bit of a show stopper if I can't get this working.

Thanks.

Peter.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi Peter and welcome to the community.

Please check Joe's post. If editing sudoers file does not help, please try to follow our fellow System Engineer's blogpost.

Thanks
pnunn
Novice
Full Name: Peter Nunn

Post by pnunn »

Thank you PTide for both the welcome and the information.

I had in fact followed the blogpost, but had fat fingered the sudoers file which was causing the problem (why you shouldn't do this in the early hours of the morning).

I've now managed to get the repository added OK, but the backup jobs are failing with an error stating processing blah error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object after about 50 odd seconds. Off to try and work that one out now.

Peter.
gtelnet
Service Provider
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: GregT

Re: Failed to start PerlSoap protocol on new Ubuntu 16.04 repo.

Post by gtelnet »

Ran across this today on an Ubuntu 20.04 server. Issue was caused by the home directory missing for the linux user credentials that we we used when adding the repo to inventory. Ran below command on repo and issue resolved.

Code: Select all

sudo mkhomedir_helper repousername