Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Feature Request: "adopt backup set"

Post by edison5000 »

The way this would work is: since currently, you can't just drag & drop a protection group from one job to another (maybe that should be another feature request, but I digress) -

if you remove a protection group from job A, and then add it to job B - or perhaps even for moving individual computers as well - create an option for the new job to adopt the old set. Now, I know what you will say: if the job type is different, you can't mix the chains. Ok. But, I am proposing that

a) if the job type of the adopted backup set is identical, you should be able to adopt a previous set/chains and keep it rolling. (dialog might says "adopting a prior backup set must match job type". If the new job type isn't identical, you could say "new job type cannot adopt different job mode backup set - new full will be taken")

Why would we want this? People need to reorg machine OU's, groups, etc all the time.

b) even If the job type is different, then the user(s) should be able to see the previous backup chains so they can do their own restores - even if they have to start a new full. (erg. Maybe that would be another feature request as well : )

I know that 'import backup' is available, but I think that just makes the files available for restore for admins, correct? Not the users' machines where the backups were taken.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: "adopt backup set"

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
if I got the request correct, then the request it to move machines between backup jobs in a comfortable way. That is something plan in V12 (next version)

Best regards,
Hannes