Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
einhirn
Enthusiast
Liked: 18 times

Feature request - Automatic IO control on target

Post by einhirn »

Hello,

I'm using Veeam B&R V9 with per VM Backup file and like it very much so far. But I found that I have problems setting Repository Load Control to sensible values: It can ingest incremental Backups really fast and process many backups concurrently - but when it comes to random IO like with merge, or synthetic full backup, or running a Copy to Tape job concurrently to another job etc. I see that it slows down hard.

Could Veeam implement repository load control based on eg. Disk activitiy or Queue length? I am aiming for automatic optimization: Not to many jobs concurrently so that the storage can idle, but not to many so the Storage slows down...

I am looking at Windows' resource monitor display of "% time active" and "Queue length" - could you use either or both of them to decide when to start a new task or when to throttle or pause a running one? Of course that wouldn't work on NAS boxes etc. because there's no unified interface for Storage load, but perhaps it could work on Repository servers where you can read storage metrics?

Thanks for considering my idea.

bye
Christian
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Feature request - Automatic IO control on target

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Christian. We are considering this (we already have this logic for the primary storage). Thanks!
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 388 times

Post by mkretzer »

Hi,

does that mean this kind of logic is already used in the product somewhere or just that it could be implemented?

Markus
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, it is already used for primary storage > Backup I/O Control