Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
alpha1
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alpha_One

Feature Request: Backup copy to dedup appliance

Post by alpha1 »

Hello everyone, the merge operation of our backup copy job is taking too long, and create a lot of i/o stress on our Quantum DXi (DXi 6900S, using the Veeam Data Mover option on the DXi).

We do have a lot of data (35Tb and growing fast) to copy to our DXi, and i don't think that making multiple smaller backup copy jobs is going to help us much.

Could it be possible to have a different 'logic' to get the backup copy job to work like any normal backup job, with full+incremental ? The idea is to be able to schedule an Active Full in the backup copy job, like every month, do incremental in between, and discard the oldest full+incr chain when over the retention policy. This will eliminate operations like merge, synthetic full and compact.

Example: 60 versions to keep, daily updates, first full, 29x incr, Active Full, 29x incr, Active Full, 29x incr, Active Full, delete of the first chain (first full + 29 incr), 29x incr, Active Full, etc....

Having many full backups on a dedup appliance doesn't use much extra space.

I hope I made myself clear - Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Feature Request: Backup copy to dedup appliance

Post by foggy »

In fact this is already possible with the Read the entire restore point from source instead of synthesizing it from increments check box that effectively switches backup copy job to use normal forward incremental mode (instead of forever incremental).
alpha1
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alpha_One

Re: Feature Request: Backup copy to dedup appliance

Post by alpha1 »

Ok, once I have my disk extension I will make new backup copy jobs and use this option. Thank you.