Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Feature Request: Customize Console Component Installation

Post by skrause »

Hello,

After updating to 9.5u4b yesterday and seeing a bunch of "NEWLY INSTALLED" items in my start menu for components I don't use, I was thinking that it would be nice to have a more granular set of options on installation of the B&R Console that would allow for skipping components that are not used.

We don't use any of the explorers so being able to skip them would save on bloat and hopefully speed up the update process if it only has to update components already installed.

Thanks!
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Feature Request: Customize Console Component Installation

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
I understand the request, as I had the same opinion many years ago. When I stripped down Windows installations and removed components from Linux systems.

Today I support the opposite way: less questions for customers during installation. "Generation iPhone" loves simplicity (I'm already older...).

The explorers (all together) are are around 100 MByte on disk (36MByte as setup files). Is that really such a big deal?

Best regards,
Hannes
skrause
Veteran
Liked: 106 times
Full Name: Steve Krause

Re: Feature Request: Customize Console Component Installation

Post by skrause »

It is the clutter on the start menu, and the fact that the installer has to go through and install each of those components which adds time to the update process.
Steve Krause
Veeam Certified Architect