Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Didi7
Veteran
Liked: 59 times

Feature request - Disk space handling ...

Post by Didi7 »

Hello,

talking about several terabytes of disk backup data nowadays, I would prefer an option to remove old restore points (*.vbk and *.vib) before a new active full backup begins, otherwise you always need double the disk space and fast disk space is very expensive.

Let the customer decide, when to remove old restore points please!

Removing *.vbk or *.vib files in advance via a scheduled script is not the fine way, as long as this option is missing in VBR.

Who else would second that?

Regards,
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature request - Disk space handling ...

Post by Shestakov »

Didi7,
Deleting backup files before having new ones is not the best practice, since it`s not guaranteed the backup will be done.
It`s recommended to choose suitable backup method and have additional space.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

I know and I agree with you but if backups are saved to tape as well and disk backup space is low, it would be nice to have the choice, instead of having no new active full backup.

I totally agree that leaving old restore points until a new active full backup completes is always the optimum case and should be the default behaviour but in case that VMs get larger and free disk space gets lower, it would be nice to have the choice itself by switching a button from its default value.

Why not let decide your customers?

Regards
Didi7
Using the most recent Veeam B&R in many different environments now and counting!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can achieve your goal using simple pre-job script that will wipe out the given directory. Check our forums, there must be several examples. Thanks.
Didi7
Veteran

Post by Didi7 »

@v.Eremin
That's another option. If we need to wipe *.vib's and *.vbk's via pre-job script, because disk space is getting low, does VBR produce errors, if those files are manually deleted in advance, as the restore points are not deleted through VBR?

And that's why I asked for that option to be included in the GUI of VBR.

Regards,
Didi7
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

That's another option. If we need to wipe *.vib's and *.vbk's via pre-job script, because disk space is getting low, does VBR produce errors, if those files are manually deleted in advance, as the restore points are not deleted through VBR?
You can add the given repository as the one backed up by rotated media, in this case no errors should be produced if a job doesn't find previous backup data. Thanks.