Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Feature Request: Explorer Migration

Post by Poweruser »

Lets imagine you have an old infrastructure and you want to move to Veeam Backup!
So users, devs and sales would agree, that it would be nice to migrate your data easily to Veaam.

Imagine your Exchange server is running and you want to grab the database (edb) or a selection of its content to a new exchange database.
e.g. corrupt or migration without 1:1 migration because of ad change or other reasons.
Now what todo?

User (admin) should be able to start veeam explorer for exchange on the new mission critical server system and connect over network into the old domain (AD domain) by supplying the domain-admin credentials.
now veeam should be able to "steal" database or database contents from the "old world" and migrate them into the new world database.

manually you have to do this: export to pst each mailbox, import pst.
but with veaam it could be seamless :-)
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Explorer Migration

Post by Dima P. »

Poweruser.

Thank you for your request. Migration is very complicated task and I believe that native migration or upgrade methods should be be used most of the time to successfully accomplish such task. That said, backup can be used to make sure that if migration or upgrade fails you can easily get your data back in a minutes.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

You can always create new mailboxes in a separate environment and restore content directly to those via Veeam (from backup). There are already many tools for migrating data between independent exchange environments and don't see where Veeam could be any improvement; except it's from Veeam ;)

By the way; Microsofts own tools are also very powerfull. You can easily do cross forest migrations and even migrate user objects without 3rd party tools.
Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Post by Poweruser »

I used the Exchange Explorer to migrate sucessfully.
Using 2 ese dlls.

But here are my 2 cents:

- ese.dlls cant be renamed to ese2010.dll and ese2016.dll because veeam dislikes that. so i have to put it into 2 folders. not that nice.
- outlook 64bit is needed if i want to extract to .pst files. thats terrible, because the software usually never is installed on an workstation with outlook.
and even if... most vendors dislike office 64bit so i have to stay at x32 to get working plugins..
so it would be better, if i could copy just some dlls like ese.dll to veeam :-) or at least use 32 bit.