Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BrianBuchanan
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Brian Buchanan

Feature Request-GFS Keep first backup

Post by BrianBuchanan »

When GFS is configured the first backup should have all the flags set, Yearly, Monthly and Weekly. Having to wait a year to get a backup that will be kept for a year doesn't make sense. (That's given worse case settings, backup created January 14 but monthly is first week, yearly is January).

If GFS is configured after backups have been made, Veeam should make sure a flagged backup exists. For example, with a daily retention of 90 days and then GFS is enabled, it should look at existing backups and set the flags. In this case the oldest backup would be YWM, and each "Monday" backup would be set W, and each "First" Week backup would be set with M.

Running backups with GFS shouldn't shock the user when the oldest backup is deleted.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Feature Request-GFS Keep first backup

Post by PetrM »

Hi Brian,

Basically, you define GFS-schedule in backup copy job settings and multiple flags can be assigned to the same file. Not sure that I understand why you need to wait a year to get a Yearly backup.

Thanks!
JacksonWG
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Jackson Blommaert

Post by JacksonWG »

This is something that bit us as well.

We configured Scale-Out Repos with GFS retention patterns in March of 2020. The annual backups are configured to keep 5 yearly backups in the monthly full backup from January. The oldest backup I have now is January of 2021. All the 2020 backups aged out as they weren't a January backup to keep as part of the annual retention.

The feature would be to automatically (or manually opt) to tag the oldest available backup when configuring GFS as annual.

In my case, I would have a March 2020 backup flagged as annual, which isn't strictly correct, but would be better than what I've got now. Nothing for that whole year.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Jackson,

Many thanks for your feedback, we'll consider this request as a potential enhancement of GFS-retention logic.

Thanks!