Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Meyercord
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: AJ Meyercord

Feature Request: Improve Backup Copy scheduling

Post by Meyercord »

I am attempting to use backup copy jobs to create a GFS-type rotation between multiple sites, but the scheduling limitations on the copy jobs create significant problems. To illustrate, suppose I have two sites, "A" and "B":
1) In Site "A", Veeam performs daily forever incremental backups and stores them to a local repository with a retention policy of 31 restore points.
2) A copy job then runs every 7 days against the first repository in Site "A" and targets a repository in site "B" with a retention policy of 5 restore points. This gives 5 weekly snapshots in Site "B"
3) Finally, a tape job runs once a month and writes the contents of the Site "B" repository to tape for long-term archiving.

The problem is that the copy job does not allow me to specify when it runs or which restore point it copies. I can only schedule how OFTEN it runs and it always starts that counter from when the job was last initiated. So there is no way for me to ensure that the Saturday restore point is copied from Site "A" to Site "B" each week.

If I happen to restart the Veeam server or an individual copy job on a Thursday, then the job will run every 7 days on Thursdays from there on out and copy the Wednesday night snapshot instead of the Saturday one. The only way to restart the copy jobs again on Saturday. If I discover on Monday that the job didn't run on Saturday, there's no way for me to rerun it and get that Saturday snapshot.

It's been suggested that I configure a transfer schedule and restrict the job from transferring data until my desired start date, but that only creates more problems since my copy jobs will then be terminated if they happen to extend into the weekday.

What is needed is some way to create a job that will copy a specific recovery point from a specific day or days of the week on a recurring schedule, rather than just whatever recovery point happens to be the most recent.

In other words, the ability to specify not only the frequency of the copy job but either 1) Which day of the week the job will scan for new restore points, or 2) Specific day(s) of the week for which restore points should be copied. Optionally, if the desired restore point is not available, let the job be configured to copy either a subsequent or previous restore point. Finally, once the restore point has been copied successfully, all internal flags should be removed from the destination files to allow tape copy jobs to run against them. And none of this should be dependent on the day or time that the job was started.
Brad.Morris
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Brad Morris

Re: Feature Request: Improve Backup Copy scheduling

Post by Brad.Morris » 1 person likes this post

I agree with Meyercord. I have copy jobs running for long term archive of select servers and the way the schedule works is a pain currently.