Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
nmdange
Expert
Liked: 85 times

Feature Request: Keep "Resource not ready" in job log

Post by nmdange » Dec 06, 2018 5:51 pm

When running a backup job for a large number of VMs, many of those VMs will spend a lot of time in a "Resource not ready" state. This could be any number of resources, like the backup repository, the proxy, etc. However, once the VM starts processing, the job details only show the message "Required backup infrastructure resources have been assigned".

This makes it hard to see after the fact what resources were causing the delay. It would be nice if you could see in the UI how long each VM spent waiting for each specific resource. This would help us know what piece of the backup infrastructure is limiting backup parallelism when managing a large environment. So we would know if adding a new backup proxy makes sense, for example. As it is, right now I can only see this information by watching a backup job live while it's running, which is a bit of a problem when the jobs always run in the middle of the night :D

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Feature Request: Keep "Resource not ready" in job log

Post by wishr » Dec 07, 2018 9:32 am

Hi again Nmdange,

Thank you for the request. It's noted.

Btw, have you managed to identify the root cause?

Thanks

wishr
Veeam Software
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr » Dec 07, 2018 10:10 am

I would like to double check the following: is there anything else after "Resource not ready" phrase in your case, because usually there is an indication which resource is not ready.

Also, could you please let me know if you, by any chance, use Veeam MP or Veeam ONE? The second part of your post sounds like a good potential feature for some of our monitoring tools ;)

BR,
Fedor

Shestakov
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov » Dec 07, 2018 1:20 pm

Hello,
what if you could see statistics of proxies busyness? E.g. proxy A had all its resources (parallel tasks) used by job X during particular period of time. So you can understand which proxies are overused and/or which jobs is better to re-schedule.
By the way, do you use Veeam ONE?

nmdange
Expert
Liked: 85 times

Post by nmdange » Dec 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Since most of my environment is Hyper-V, I see a lot of "Resource not ready: Snapshot", but I have also seen "Resource not ready: Backup Proxy" and "Resource not ready: Backup Repository". I know what the causes are and how to fix them, it's just I can't see what the type of resource is unless I watch the backups live.

I don't have Veeam ONE licensing. I could definitely see Veeam ONE having detailed reports on parallel tasks, but at a minimum, just being able to look at a job in the console after the fact and seeing which resource type was waiting would be enough for me.

Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
Liked: 1306 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Dec 10, 2018 11:34 am

Yes, this log entry would be a nice to have feature, I agree. Also, I would recommend taking a look at Veeam ONE 9.5 U4 (once available) new features that might also be able to solve your existing issue. Thanks!