Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
pirx
Veteran
Liked: 75 times

Feature Request: make Veeam temp directory C:\Windows\Temp\{xxxxxxx} configurable

Post by pirx »

Hi,

we are chasing this error for a while now (#04581607).

Code: Select all

Error: boost::filesystem::remove: The directory is not empty: "C:\windows\TEMP\{ffecfddb-e365-42ac-806e-58c1b974b14d}\"
Agent failed to process method {FileSystem.DirectoryRemove}.
This kind of directory keeps the ctk xml files.

Veeam Support suspected Antivirus (in our case Kaspersky) from the beginning, with procmon we could now prove that AV is scanning this directory. This is expected because there is no exclude for this as this directory is not listed in KB article https://www.veeam.com/kb1999. But even if it would be on the list, due to our security policy it would no be allowed to exclude the whole C:\Windows\Temp\ dir as this is a very critical location used by different applications and is a possible destination for malware. As the Veeam subdirectory names are random like C:\windows\TEMP\{ffecfddb-e365-42ac-806e-58c1b974b14d} it is also not possible to add those to excludes. There are already other Veeam directories like c:\windows\temp\VeeamBackup and c:\windows\temp\VeeamBackupTemp.

My request: please make this ctk file directory configurable, or at least use some directory that could be easily be excluded from AV (like the two mentioned above). A lot of applications are using C:\windows\temp, most of them use a dedicated easy to exclude subdirectory. According to Microsoft this is also best practice.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Feature Request: make Veeam temp directory C:\Windows\Temp\{xxxxxxx} configurable

Post by soncscy »

It's a workaround I suppose but can your av accept regex for exclusions? If so there are many examples of UUID patterns for regex.

But, it would be nice to see I suppose.
pirx
Veteran

Re: Feature Request: make Veeam temp directory C:\Windows\Temp\{xxxxxxx} configurable

Post by pirx »

regex was the first thing I checked, it seems that Kaspersky is not that flexible. I think only * and ? are available, maybe something like this C:\windows\TEMP\{????????-????-????-????-????????????} is possible, but this is far away from everything our AV team is usually using, so not very likely they will do this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback, sounds reasonable.
tmahangare
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tushar Mahangare.

[MERGED] Feature Request: make Veeam temp directory C:\Windows\Temp\{xxxxxxx} configurable

Post by tmahangare »

This kind of directory keeps the ctk xml files.

Veeam Support suspected Antivirus (in our case Kaspersky) from the beginning, with procmon we could now prove that AV is scanning this directory. This is expected because there is no exclude for this as this directory is not listed in KB article https://www.veeam.com/kb1999. But even if it would be on the list, due to our security policy it would no be allowed to exclude the whole C:\Windows\Temp\ dir as this is a very critical location used by different applications and is a possible destination for malware. As the Veeam subdirectory names are random like C:\windows\TEMP\{ffecfddb-e365-42ac-806e-58c1b974b14d} it is also not possible to add those to excludes. There are already other Veeam directories like c:\windows\temp\VeeamBackup and c:\windows\temp\VeeamBackupTemp.

My request: please make this ctk file directory configurable, or at least use some directory that could be easily be excluded from AV (like the two mentioned above). A lot of applications are using C:\windows\temp, most of them use a dedicated easy to exclude subdirectory. According to Microsoft this is also best practice.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello Tushar,
welcome to the forums.

And please use the existing thread instead of opening new ones ;-)

Best regards,
Hannes
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

Ugh, the post from tmahangare is a c&p from my initial posting. Is this right or was it a c&p error while merging?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

yes, I really merged it. It was a new post. I was thinking about to delete it when I saw that it's a duplicate, but maybe he really has a similar issue like you.
pirx
Veteran

Post by pirx »

My #1 post is...
post401058.html#p401058

...completely identical to the one from tmahangare you merged (without the code section).
post425633.html#p425633

So the text was just copied 1:1 and a new post was created with it? Not that I'd claim any copyrights... but it still looks somewhat strange to me.
tmahangare
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Tushar Mahangare.

Post by tmahangare »

Hey Pirx, as per support i am crated new topic for below link
veeam-backup-replication-f2/feature-req ... 72057.html

Is any update for adding this feature under VBR?
We are facing lots of issue on our servers
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

there is nothing new from the VBR side.

As you now answered, I will keep the posts and count the request +1
spiritie
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Gert

Post by spiritie »

+1 for this request to specify the location.

Default behaviour should at least in a Veeam specific folder to make exclusions safer and more specific eg. C:\Temp\Veeam\
Ideally this should be under the log folder of Veeam.
MartinO
Service Provider
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Martin Old

Post by MartinO »

+1 for this - we're seeing the an issue intermittently with failed indexing due to what is likely our AV, which doesn't support pattern exclusions.