Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DonZoomik
Service Provider
Liked: 120 times
Full Name: Mihkel Soomere

Feature request: one-way Network Traffic Rules

Post by DonZoomik » 2 people like this post

Currently, when traffic rule is created with source and destination networks, traffic is actually throttled both ways to the amount specified, resulting in effectively half-duplex throughput.

In my case, I'm doing backup copies over IPSec links (public internet) and both ways (between different datacenters). I've been allocated a budget of 500Mbit (symmetric). However when copies are running both ways, actual throughput is ~250Mbit either way and this drags out the job. I can't increase the threshold to 1Gbit either as this will likely blow our burstable billing limits if copies are running only one way.
I've played with Windows QoS rules (repositories run Windows) but this isn't really better as QoS also seems to affect response packets that get heavily throttled - things slow down and occasionally there are weird timeouts.

So it'd be great if traffic rules could actually source-destination in data flow sense. Then I could create two rules in either direction.
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Feature request: one-way Network Traffic Rules

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

+1 x 1000 for @DonZoomik's FR
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Feature request: one-way Network Traffic Rules

Post by Gostev »

Thanks guys. It is the first time this feature has been requested since we added network traffic rules almost 10 years ago, so it is unlikely to be prioritized in the short term.

Meanwhile, I like the idea of using Windows QoS as a workaround for more granular throttling. The slow down is expected - this is exactly what you're trying to achieve here anyway, right? Nevertheless, we would be happy to review installations where it does not work well to see if Windows QoS causes any issues beyond what it is supposed to do. And if so, we can open a case with Microsoft to get them to fix this.

Of course, another workaround would be to apply the required throttling rules on the router itself. I do this at home :D