Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Lucio Mazzi

Feature request: pausing SureBackup sessions

Post by Moebius »

I believe it would be nice to have the option to "pause" an ongoing Surebackup job. That means leaving the lab just as it is at that moment, leave powered on the vms that are already running within the SB job, and just pausing the processing of the remaining SB tasks and vms.

In my view, this could make troubleshooting sessions much easier. As it is now, I always have to struggle with the remaining allotted time, before the vm I'm trying to troubleshoot gets powered down and unregistered, or the whole lab is switched off and dismantled.

I know that there are options which I could use (e.g., leave the app group powered on and restart the vm, manually build a sandboxed lab, etc), and as a matter of fact it's what I'm doing at the moment. But it would be just so much easier that way, having a "Pause session" option in the context menu beside the "Stop session", and it seems to me it should be a breeze to implement for the Dev Team. Comments?
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Re: Feature request: pausing SureBackup sessions

Post by Moebius »

And since we're at it... I'd also like to be able to decide that I want to keep the app group running, when the SB job is already started. Don't know if this is easy or even possible to implement though.
Moebius
Veeam ProPartner

Post by Moebius »

Moebius wrote:As it is now, I always have to struggle with the remaining allotted time, before the vm I'm trying to troubleshoot gets powered down and unregistered, or the whole lab is switched off and dismantled.
I'm surprised that no one seems to second my request. Nonetheless, I'm kindly asking again to consider implementing this feature in a future release.

Given the relatively few topics about the SureBackup, I have the impression that not so many users out there really use it. I consider SB by far one of the best features (if not THE BEST feature) that Veeam offers. It has helped me many times to find and solve problems that would have prevented a backed-up vm to start again when restored.

How difficult can it be to implement a "pause" button in the SureBackup statistic window?

Dev Team --- please?!?
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Post by davidb1234 »

I second this! Just about every time I have a problem I wish I had these features. In fact how about an option to leave the virtual lab running ON FAILURE in case I want to troubleshoot it when I come in to the office instead of booting it all back up again.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Lucio, we thoroughly monitor the forum for this kind of requests, so no single voice gets ignored. That said, features are prioritized not on what it takes to implement them, but on the amount of requests primarily. Anyway, thanks for the reasonable feedback!
stuartmacgreen
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Stuart Green

Post by stuartmacgreen »

+1 on this feature request also.

I would also like to see a possibility of extending/boosting on-the-fly the maximum allowed boot time.

As much the whole IT industry likes uptime, this can be a pain for others.

We run SLES 11 Guest OS in our VM's and after by default after 180 days of uptime/online of the filesystems they want to perform a fsck at boot. This plays havoc with our SureBackup Maximum Allowed Boot Time. We need to keep extending. Or sometime we get a filesystem that has inode issues that need correcting. You have to inevitably babysit these SureBackup sessions or try to return to them ie switch to catch them or they stop the session as they have reached that time. And you got to start all over again.. and this could have been 10-15 minutes already.

Some might say to extend the Maximum allowed boot time... but this is ever increasing as the longer the VM is UP the longer it can take for fsck's and inode fixes in certain instances.

So my feature request would go hand in hand with the pause option. And that is to Extend the boot time on the fly like a +15 +30mins idea.