Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gbvlr
Lurker
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: George Bica

Feature Request: Remove UAC requirements from console

Post by gbvlr » 3 people like this post

Console prompts for elevated administrator rights (UAC) to run. It does so even when installed on remote PCs used to manage B&R servers. I want to challenge the notion that the console requires elevated UAC to run. I don’t see why it would need to if all the data it writes is properly set. I already used Compatibility Administrator for Win 10 and RunAsInvoker fix to remove the UAC from the process and ignore any elevation requests in the process manifest. RunAsInvoker blog post - https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnew ... 0/?p=94735 By applying the fix, if you run the program from a non-elevated command prompt, then the program stays non-elevated. Essentially running the process with RunAsInvoker as standard user doesn’t elevate the process. The app runs fine without administrator rights in my limited testing, but I want Veeam to resolve this arcane requirement that is a security liability.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Feature Request: Remove UAC requirements from console

Post by Andreas Neufert »

This is needed because the console mount data in case of restore to present them in the restore wizard. For example at Windows File Level Recovery or any Veeam Explorer.
We are aware that this is not an ideal situation. Let´s see what the future will bring us.