Feature Request: Restore DFS Namespace

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Feature Request: Restore DFS Namespace

Veeam Logoby andrewH » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:12 pm

Had an incident lately where one of our techs accidentally deleted a DFS Namespace rather than a folder under it. Sod's law dictated this was our biggest namespace with circa 1,000 subfolders which all were deleted in an instant. Being confident Veeam would come to the rescue I was disappointed to find Namespaces couldn't be restored which was also confirmed when I raised a case.

Though it gave us a good opportunity to learn how to recreate these with powershell, any chance this could be added as a feature?
andrewH
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Feature Request: Restore DFS Namespace

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:30 am

Andrew,

I am not 100 percent certain but I restoring a DFS Namespace should be possible with Veeam in your scenario. If you have a backup of your AD, you should be able to open the Veeam Explorer. Then go to System\Dfs-configuration”. In here you will see your DFS name space details. Restore the lost information from a known good point and your links should be repaired.

The reason I am not 100 percent certain is because I have not done this in a while and I should check on the latest DFS versions to see if this still works and recovers everything which is needed
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby andrewH » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:29 am

Thats where I was hoping to find it to restore but the System folder isn't shown, at least not in v9.5.
andrewH
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:32 am

Did you clicked on the advanced features button on the ribbon toolbar? If you click on that, it should become visible.
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby andrewH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:25 am

Advanced features displays new folders Integrated DNS & Configuration Partition which has some system elements but not DFS Namespaces.
andrewH
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:27 am

OK. I will talk to our developers. Can't make any promises though but consider this a feature request.

When you have restored, how did you do it now?
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby andrewH » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:01 pm

If you're asking how we overcome this issue, we recreated the Namespace manually and used a large powershell script to recreate all the folders under the Namespace and their relevant targets by analysing existing shares on the servers to see what had been done previously.
andrewH
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Yes, that was indeed what I asked. Thanks for letting me know
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aceit » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:53 pm 1 person likes this post

Only to add here that some DFS roots are not stored in AD, depends on the configuration, at least in some version of windows was possible to create it stand-alone and outside AD.
If in AD, the conf. objects should indeed be visible.
bye
aceit
Influencer

Liked: 8 times

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:10 am

Thanks for the additional info

I will need to verify what exactly is in AD and what is not. You are right that it has changed a lot, and with 2016, many more changes have come to DFS.
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Geniek.73 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:09 pm 1 person likes this post

Wasn't it as option to power on DC from backup, export DFS config to a file using dfsutil and then reimport it to production?
Geniek.73
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Dariusz Tyka

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication