Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kkuszek
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Kurt Kuszek

Feature request: smoother encrypted backup import

Post by kkuszek »

Hello,
Whenever I have to manually rework my retention points the process is pretty long in the tooth. One of the things I only recently figured out is that if you encrypt your backups using a key and attempt to re-import them they show up under the encrypted tab - not as FYI mind you but because they require additional attention to manually decrypt them. There is no pop up notification saying what's been imported on a datastore scan needs attention, no errors, no indications. I don't feel this is really intuitive from an approachability standpoint.

Shouldn't an encrypted backup that is imported first attempt to decrypt against matching job keys and/or then saved keys in the keychain in the background? after that shouldn't it flag a notification and be listed as (error - encrypted) or similar?

Part of my space issue I chased for a while felt constantly requiring attention - mostly because I couldn't build off the existing chain I re-imported.
I am going to assume some day in the future I will need to know this for any archived to disk/tape jobs.

This is not a huge impact to my workflow but really just something I noticed which did not feel it was articulated properly and needed polish.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Feature request: smoother encrypted backup import

Post by Gostev »

Hello - you are right here, I agree that a popup notification is as a good idea. Thanks!