Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Feature Request: verbose warnings/progress bar if launching Veeam console products too soon after Win server reboot

Post by edison5000 »

Suggestion: Various Veeam component consoles report warnings if you launch them too soon after a Windows server reboot. This is probably because various services haven't started yet. Yes, the solution is wait a few minutes, but we didn't know this during our initial product testing.

Eg. currently, launching B&R or Veeam One Client too soon after a reboot will return, beneath / in the console Veeam logo window, errors such as "sql not loaded" , or, "failed to connect to host because target machine actively refused it" - which are both technically true. If you didn't know better, though, you might think that you installed the Veeam products incorrectly, or there's a real problem with them - when all you would have to do is wait a few more minutes after Win Server boot before attempting a console launch.

Maybe something that says, in addition to those warnings, something like "service X has not completed loading, please wait a few minutes and try again". Or, alternatively, a progress bar that looks for the services to be ready, showing their status if you want to be really cool, 'eg SQL ready!' which would *then* launch the console - rather than erroring out and forcing a user to quit the console launch window and try again.

As off 11a this happens with B&R and Veeam One after a server reboot for sure, not sure about BEM or VSPC.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request: verbose warnings/progress bar if launching Veeam console products too soon after Win server reboot

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Edison.

That FR might work when console is local to VBR server(aka "we can check services status"). However, if console is remote(say, on your laptop), than we are just not receiving an answer on a required port from VBR server. Based on a failed connection we cannot make a decision if service is even going to go up.

Maybe make it like a visible 3x retry with error at the end or something...noted for discussion anyhow.7]

/Thanks.
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Re: Feature Request: verbose warnings/progress bar if launching Veeam console products too soon after Win server reboot

Post by edison5000 »

Understood. Thank you. Note that that warning I listed about the 'failed to connect to host because target machine actively refused it', occurred *on the local host* machine. That is, simply trying to launch the Veeam One client, residing on the same server as the B&R server, too soon after a reboot. Not remote. : ) In any case, I guess my point is, warning messages that may be more accurate or useful, however you would define that.

I'm sure it is not easy, but figured I'd ask. So far our favorite useful warning we've received from Veeam One, for example, was something like "client system battery is low" for a notebook.