Feature Request: VMware Tagging - JOIN statements

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Feature Request: VMware Tagging - JOIN statements

Veeam Logoby ekisner » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:42 pm 2 people like this post

I would like the ability to more flexibly create dynamic jobs.

Consider a scenario where one has 2 different tag categories: RPO (tags: 4h, 24h) and Encryption (tags: true, false). One could simply create a single category with all 4 combinations, but then if you wanted all 4h RPO VMs, you must search for 4h RPO & encryption TRUE as well as 4h RPO & encryption FALSE. It complicates things in the future by restricting the flexible nature of tagging.

One could easily add more categories, such as "App-Aware", "Compression Level", really imagination is the limit (okay so the hard limit is probably specific to the number of job setting permutations, but that's pretty high).

Theoretically, with those 2 categories, one must create 4 jobs. One must manually exclude VMs that do not belong in a specific job, for example if you're targeting your jobs based on the RPO, you must manually exclude the VMs which requre or do not require encryption, one for each of your 4h RPO jobs.

Consider, however, the ease of using something like an inner join. All VMs which are a member of group 1 and group 2 (...and 3, and 4.... so on and so on). Or a left join: All VMs which are a member of group 1 but not group 2. You still have the same number of jobs, but now nothing is manual. As soon as you update the tag, the job accurately reflects the change as well.
ekisner
Expert

Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Re: Feature Request: VMware Tagging - JOIN statements

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks for your feedback, we will consider this for the future releases.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby soggy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:01 am

Just chiming in this would be an immensely useful feature. As I require to have multiple tags for various things such as retention,encryption,offsiting,etc
In the meantime I'll have to write something in powershell and run it as a scheduled task to update objects across the backup jobs.
soggy
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Scott White

[MERGED] Feature Request: Logical Operators with VMware Tags

Veeam Logoby mj71 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:36 pm

I ran across the Veeam whitepaper Using Veeam and VMware vSphere Tags for Advanced Policy-driven Data Protection and thought it would be a nice way to streamline our jobs. The paper discusses creating tags for VM Purpose, RPO and Encryption. I implemented these tags in VMware and tagged all of our VMs accordingly. I was disappointed to find that there is no way to combine tags when selecting VMs to backup. Only a single flag is evaluated.

I'd like to be able to create a backup job that selects VMs that are, for example, Windows VM AND RPO-Daily AND No encryption.

Thanks!
mj71
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Junk

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks for the post, your FR is noted.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: [MERGED] Feature Request: Logical Operators with VMware

Veeam Logoby cjack03 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:52 am 1 person likes this post

mj71 wrote:I ran across the Veeam whitepaper Using Veeam and VMware vSphere Tags for Advanced Policy-driven Data Protection and thought it would be a nice way to streamline our jobs. The paper discusses creating tags for VM Purpose, RPO and Encryption. I implemented these tags in VMware and tagged all of our VMs accordingly. I was disappointed to find that there is no way to combine tags when selecting VMs to backup. Only a single flag is evaluated.

I'd like to be able to create a backup job that selects VMs that are, for example, Windows VM AND RPO-Daily AND No encryption.

Thanks!

Hi!

We do that already, below is an example of what we do, not the most elegant solution but it works for us:

WHEN Tag("OSGroup") = "Windows Servers" AND Tag("AppQuiescence") = "AppAwareYES" AND Tag("BackupRPO") = "BRPO24" THEN "24H AppAware Windows Servers"
cjack03
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Christopher

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication