Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcz
Expert
Liked: 61 times
Full Name: Michael

Re: Feature Request : Web Console

Post by mcz » Sep 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Just wannted to add my idea to this thread. I will not call a web client a good or bad idea because I think the result matters but it is for sure something that is expected by many people.
The thing with every web client is for sure that you have a extra installation of a webserver (could also be on the veeam-server) and some other dependcies and services which could crash or be unavailable (for whatever reason) and then you won't be able to do your management things (most of the time then when you need it most). Compared to a offline-client (or console) it can be less reliable.

Somewhere in this thread there was the example of the social medias alias facebook, twitter, etc. and they all show what HTML can do and how stable it can be but of course they have a lot of people and ressources to keep it running 24/7/365.

And here comes something that has not been mentioned before (or probably I didn't get it): Why not keeping the web client completely on veeam-side (management, maintenance, availability)? So what do I mean? I'm thinking about a hosted solution where I would log in to the HTML client just like when I do the log in to the veeam customer portal. My backup server has an outbound connection established to the hosted veeam-servers and all the calls from the GUI are being sent to my backup server in my datacenters.

I would not have to think about the availability/maintenance of the web interface and would still be able to use this interface without VPN if I'm out of the office. Of course, you would always need an active internet connection, that's clear.
What do others think about it?

Cragdoo
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 218 times
Full Name: Craig Dalrymple

Post by Cragdoo » Sep 27, 2017 8:35 am

I'll add a little more to the discussion. Microsoft recently announced 'Project Honolulu' which is a very lightweight management tool for Windows servers (https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/ask ... er-part-1/). This app effectively uses Remote powershell and WMI to pull back the data, and supports extensions. So obvious question would be, is this something Veeam are interested in developing, to allow management of VBR servers?

nielsengelen
Veeam Software
Liked: 618 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen » Sep 27, 2017 11:30 am

Quite sure somebody can write something for it ;-)
VCP-DCV
Veeam Certified Architect (VMCA)
http://foonet.be

Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Poweruser

[MERGED] Feature Suggestion: Web Interface (Small VAC)

Post by Poweruser » Aug 06, 2018 11:43 pm

A small Availability Console...
just a Web-Interface which allows the same as B&R Console allows.

Then you can manage your backup from everywhere without installing the software console.
also you can check backups over (terrible) mobile devices every kind.

actually you have to use remotedesktop, vnc or install the console executables.
anyway it would be easier to provide a portable console. not much development as you can reuse the actual console but admins can start them just from a share! (like portable apps)

Shestakov
Product Manager
Liked: 747 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature Suggestion: Web Interface (Small Availability Co

Post by Shestakov » Aug 07, 2018 9:46 am

Hello,
Have you checked Enterprise Manager?
It allows execute basic actions via web UI.
Thanks

Poweruser
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Poweruser

Post by Poweruser » Aug 07, 2018 10:31 pm

ah there is :-)
this looks fine except big iis ;-)
i have to try this.
i hope i can install it onto another host which does not run the backup server. i will have to check.

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3872 times

Post by Gostev » Aug 08, 2018 2:14 pm

Yes, you certainly can do this.