Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
croco
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Lukas

File backup and purge old backups

Post by croco »

Hi

I am unable to find a job or task that compares the backups and purges anything older than 7 days.
Am i missing something or does this functionality not exist?
Rick.Vanover
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times
Full Name: Rick Vanover

Re: File backup and purge old backups

Post by Rick.Vanover »

Hi croco - welcome to the Veeam Forum!

There is no job or task as such in the user interface that would compare backups and purge anything older than 7 days per se.

However, if that is what you are trying to accomplish - I would recommend you build your backup and replications jobs around the retention that is needed. The retention is basically a math formula of the frequency a job runs (The schedule ) and the amount of restore points.

Example: Default is 14 restore points, and if that job runs daily - 2 weeks will sit on disk as it runs to complete through.

Another example: 14 restore points, job runs every 6 hours - less than 2 weeks will be in because it will run more often.

So give some thought to that - and the type of backup in use. For example, a reverse incremental backup will have a full backup as the most recent restore point, and increments in reverse for the retention "backwards".

Then, when a job is run, the storage will be set to the consumption needed.

Alternatively - you can delete backups in the User Interface - the Disk and Disk (Imported) contents - but be advised - that will actually delete backups on disk.