Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

File Copy Job pain- feature request

Post by mattdwyerva »

Feature Request: Allow VBR to use basic NAS-defined username/pw for NAS shares.

Summary: I was hoping to use File Copy to backup files FROM a Linux NAS (WD MyCloud EX4100) using Windows VBR server. All I need to do is READ the NAS, not write to the NAS (altho vbr may wish to edit file attributes or add files on the NAS in order to do its work). Ran into problems with rights (support case 01159883) and nothing has worked so far. There may be a solution to this, but it is awfully painful to get there, so using a cmd shell script (jpsoft) instead of VBR for now.

Detail:
NAS (Western Digital MyCloud EX4100 Pro) can be accessed from windows stations and from Windows VBR server (2008R2) using net use mapping, with user/pw credentials defined and stored on the NAS. These credentials work fine for CMD commands on the W2008R2 VBR server, but not for VBR itself as it is not possible to add VBR credentials to the NAS AFAIK, so job fails immediately ("access is denied").

So, I tried turning on SSH on the NAS and telling VBR it is a Linux server (add managed server->Linux->sshd) In this case, when defining the server, VBR accepts the credentials entered, gets to the Summary screen and the WaitCursor hourglass pops up and takes about 5 full minutes to finish which seems dubious. However, I then can create a file copy job, pointing to the ip of the linux server and successfully pointing to the directory to include. Starting the file copy job, it just HANGS at 0% for 40 minutes (why no timeout?). Stopping it doesn't work either, it just changes status to STOPPING. Impossible to stop the file copy job without rebooting the VBR server which is aggravating. Veeam tech support is assisting (whoa, Happy Thanksgiving!), and support suggests verifying that all Perl modules are installed. If I need to add modules, I will have to ignore the dire NAS "no more warranty if you screw with it" msgbox that pops up on this brand new NAS. I have not gone further in this direction yet.

Instead, I tried linking the NAS to the windows domain, turning on CIFS on this NAS, and active directory on the NAS. This shows me domain/username on the NAS share screens as stored in the active directory, but not any Veeam services, so this works for any file access using windows but not for VBR. This does not make the NAS a windows server apparently, and I cannot label it as such in VBR (failed to create persistent connection to ADMIN$... failed to install service [VeeamDeploymentService].... ) which makes sense, because it IS a linux server, or so I think.

So, I fell back on a jpsoft takecommand shell script to do regular old file copy with updates. This works, but not using VBR obviously, and not thrilled that I wound up there, hence the feature request.