Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Threonine
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke D.

File Level Restore preserving permissions and owners

Post by Threonine »

Hi all,

When testing file level restores today using the "Copy To" option and enabling the "Preserve permissions and ownership" option I noticed something unexpected when looking at NTFS permissions. In my testing I was restoring a subfolder of a subfolder from a file server and then reviewing the NTFS ACLs on the restore folder and subfolders and files. I've tested this on both Veeam 8.x and 9.x. The source and destination servers are joined to the same domain in both environments. What I'm seeing that is unexpected is a new ACE (Access Control Entry) added to the ACL explicitly assigning permissions to the user that is the file owner with Full Control access... The Advanced NTFS view shows the ACE is inherited from the root of the volume, which is clearly not the case. The parent folder folder does not even have the ACE, which means there's a consistency problem in the file system. When attempting to remove the ACE, I get the warning "You can't remove ....... because this object is inheriting permissions from its parent..." I'm not sure what's going on here. It sounds like B&R is maybe assuming the "CREATOR OWNER" ACE is normally applied and trying to replace its functionality or else Windows is making the change because of missing information during the restore. Any ideas?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: File Level Restore preserving permissions and owners

Post by foggy »

Hi Luke, thanks for the heads up, this looks unexpected. QA will try to reproduce the behavior.
Threonine
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke D.

Re: File Level Restore preserving permissions and owners

Post by Threonine »

Thanks foggy. Sounds good.