Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Titanmike
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: ZeGerman

File Level Restore with Linux VMs

Post by Titanmike »

Hiya,

since the only option is to restore the files onto a local PC or a host, how are permissions handled ?
I just imagine having a mail server where I need to restore 100s of small files .. I assume Linux permissions aren't kept when they are first restored onto the (Windows) Veeam server to a restore back to a Linux server would mean we have to manually restore the permissions / user / group ownership etc. ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: File Level Restore with Linux VMs

Post by Gostev »

You can restore directly backup to Linux VM, you just need to add this VM as Linux server to Veeam Backup servers tree first... there is actually a text label in UI explaining this on the same step where you select destination host while performing file level restore, not sure how you missed that ;)
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Gostev wrote:You can restore directly backup to Linux VM, you just need to add this VM as Linux server to Veeam Backup servers tree first... there is actually a text label in UI explaining this on the same step where you select destination host while performing file level restore, not sure how you missed that ;)
Tested and Confirmed lol - thanks .. missed that option .......... somehow :)
Titanmike
Enthusiast

Post by Titanmike »

Interestingly enough - the option to preserve permission and ownership isn't ticked by default but I think this is what most want when restoring Linux files ;)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

Only because this is new functionality, that was just added in v5... while actual Linux FLR was available since v3. We are trying to preserve existing behavior by default whenever possible when adding new functionality, because we have 15K customers who are already accustomed to product behaving in a certain way (e.g. restoring files without permissions), and because as any new functionality it may contain bugs/issues. I agree it will make sense to enable this option by default in future releases, when all customers feel comfortable with it.