Availability for the Always-On Enterprise
gudmundo
Lurker
Liked: never

File lock message

Post by gudmundo » Jul 02, 2018 1:35 pm

I did have a few jobs that fails every other day with the ": Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."-message.
Veeam Support solved the issue, but I still would like a better message in the first place. The message is of little use next day when the job has failed.

VBR knows the filname, so why not use this info to find and list the filelocking process while the lock is still active? Either by internal code or maybe calling SysInternals handle.exe wih the filename to search for?

Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 2917 times

Re: File lock message

Post by Gostev » Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Hi, we need to understand where exactly do you see this message (context), as this can be the standard system error message we're just passing on based on error code received - so not something we can control/enhance from our side. Thanks!

gudmundo
Lurker

Post by gudmundo » Jul 03, 2018 7:24 am

Context: Backup job status. One or more vm's in a PrVM-job with this detail summary:

Removing VM snapshot
Error: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
Network traffic verification detected no corrupted blocks

Overall job status is failed.
Am I correct assuming that the file refered to is the vmxxx.vib on the repository?

Mgamerz
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times

Post by Mgamerz » Jul 03, 2018 2:57 pm 1 person likes this post

I got this exact message last night on a few backups. I realized that I did not have antivirus exclusions on - I don't know if this is the issue (its been almost a year without any exclusions), just applied them, hope the message goes away.

dntfmn
Service Provider
Full Name: Donovan Niesen

Post by dntfmn » Jul 09, 2018 6:08 pm

How did Veeam Support solve your issue? I opened a case with Veeam Support who told me to disable anti-virus (we uninstalled it) and still get it randomly on copy jobs. From there they just told us something else was accessing the file and it was on us to figure out.

Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 2917 times

Post by Gostev » Jul 09, 2018 10:20 pm