Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
gmorris
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Glen Morris

File Restores from Encrypted Drives

Post by gmorris »

I have been testing backup and restores from an encrypted drive using BitLocker running on Server 2008R2.
The backup works great and the restore of the VM either by using Instant VM recovery or Entire VM works great also.
But restoring Guest files fails, this is not surprising I have found a way to restore the files by using Instant recovery and attaching a drive and copying the data to the drive and then stopping the instant recovery VM and attaching the drive to the original VM and copying the data back.
I just wanted to know if possible in future releases Veeam could detect it was encrypted and prompt you for the recovery password?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6647 times

Re: File Restores from Encrypted Drives

Post by Gostev »

Hi Glen, great workaround - smart thinking! Hard to say - we would have to research first if this will be possible at all with our Instant FLR engine. But in all cases, we have plans to enhance the current FLR engine down the road, so I will keep this feature request in mind. Thanks!
IT_Prof
Lurker
Full Name: IT_Prof

Post by IT_Prof »

Hello. I also need this option. I would really wait for its implementation!
andersonts
Veteran
Liked: 31 times
Full Name: Tim Anderson

[MERGED] FLR From Bitlocker Encrypted Drives

Post by andersonts »

I see a few posts on this that are older including a workaround using Instant Restore but have we ever implemented the ability to pass the restore key. I assume not as I haven't seen or read about it anywhere but wanted to check as I had a partner ask about it today. They also asked about restore of SQL data when SQL Encryption is being used but I can't imagine that being anything we have capability around (aside from the IR option) or any intention of developing capability around. Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1401 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: FLR From Bitlocker Encrypted Drives

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Hi
FLR at Software Encryption => Use U-AIR to boot VM including encryption software and transport data over the network.

If encryption software support => mount the encrypted data on a second server with installed software you can use Instant VM Recovery to unmount volume and mount it as a additional drive to a server with installed encryption software.

If you see the encrypted disk as a file lying on a windows file system, you can use WinFRL to mapp the volume to the backup server and start (after installation) there the encryption software.
Or you can Share (windows share) it to a server that can mount it.

SQL Encryption is transparent to U-AIR SQL Wizard (because db data is online on production and U-AIR started DB.
At the moment we do not have Veeam Explorer for SQL, so it will be a feature requet for VESQL to mount encrypted SQL DBs as well.
But to be honest I haven´t seen a single MS SQL DB that is encrypted on DB level in the wild. Do you see this at other customers?
natrimac
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Will Pulsifer

Post by natrimac »

Any update on this function being added. I to need to restore from time to time from a BL volume. I follow the same steps outlined in the original post.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

No plans for v8, so the said workaround is still a way to go. Thanks.
tag
Lurker

Post by tag »

Hi,

are there any news to this topic ?
Its very uncomfortable to need the same amount of storage available in a hyper-v environment to start instant recovery, copy the files to another virtual harddisk and attach them again to the original one just to restore some simple files.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Nothing has changed for this matter. Windows FLR from such volumes won't be possible, as backup server is not aware of corresponding encryption keys.

I didn't get portion regarding occupied space, though, instant VM recovery is started directly from a backup file, so what kind of storage consumption did you mean?
miller1884
Novice
Full Name: Kevin Miller

Post by miller1884 »

Endpoint protection has the feature to unlock bitlocker drives - it would be nice to get this into VBR FLR