Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dgerler
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Gerler

First WAN Replication Job Running Long?

Post by dgerler »

Good Morning,
I'm still in the trial of Veeam B&R and want to make sure I'm doing this right.

I am putting together a DR plan with the foundation of it being replication between the two sites via the WAN. I have two VMware hosts currently running ESXi 4.1 at the production site and one at the DR site running ESXi 5. I have a separate physical windows server 2003 at the production site acting as the backup server. I have made separate physical servers at both the production and DR sites as backup proxies as well as backup repositories. so it looks like this:

Production site:
2 VM hosts run ESXi 4.1 using local storage for VMs
Backup Server
Backup Proxy
backup repository

DR Site:
1 VM host running ESXi 5 using SAN storage for the VMs
backup proxy
backup repository

As a precursor, I created a backup of the VM's and transfered them to the DR site to make the seed.
I configured the replication job for low bandwidth, separate virtual networks and different IP scheme. I set it to use the backup proxy at the DR site for both source and target thinking of the seed, but now I'm wondering if I made a mistake on that. I also configured seeding and mapped the replicas and enable image processing.

The job includes two VM's with combined size of 400GB.

I ran the job the first time yesterday, but after the seeding was done it slowed way down and I ended up cancelling the job because of production requirements. So tonight I restarted the job and It's been running for 8 hours and is only 9% complete.

Does this sound typical for the first run of a replication job?
Will it take this long every time it runs?
Should I change the source proxy to the production site?
I'm working on creating backup proxy VM's at each location. How much will that improve performance in a WAN repliaction job like this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: First WAN Replication Job Running Long?

Post by foggy »

David, when replicating across sites, you should deploy at least one local proxy in each site and also it's better to install a backup repository server closer to the source (i.e. in the production site, this is explained in the UI) as it stores and processes replica metadata. Thanks.
dgerler
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Gerler

Post by dgerler »

Thanks.
I setup several jobs, mostly backups so I had gotten a little familiar with it so did n't read it this time.
I have stopped the job, made the changes and restarted it. We'll see how that changes things. I know the realtime statistics was saying the bottleneck was the source so maybe it'll run faster now.

Would you say the first job runs much slower than sibsequent jobs?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hard to say, depends on the amount of changes your VMs produce, time elapsed since the seed was created, periodicity of subsequent runs, etc.