Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
clix
Influencer
Liked: never

FLR Linux VM - Files not keeping ownership & timestamp

Post by clix »

Testing the FLR feature (great addition to V3) from a RHEL 3 VM backup.

Noticed that the only way to perform file level restore is to use "Copy to" after running the FLR Wizard.

Problem with this is that files lose ownership & timestamp i.e. if you restore a Linux file that originally had a timestamp of say "10 Aug 2007", will be changed to have the current system time after copy. The ownership (owner & group) also changes.

Would it be possible to add a "Add to archive" option to the FLR. This would allow ownership & timestamp to be kept intact.

Or, is there any other way that we can restore files to Linux target VMs?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: FLR Linux VM - Files not keeping ownership & timestamp

Post by Gostev »

Hello, at a first sight I think best for us would be to provide you with a way to restore directly to target Linux VM since we already have everything for this in the code.

Can you clarify what do you mean by another option ("Add to archive") - where should it add the extracted file, what archive?
clix
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: FLR Linux VM - Files not keeping ownership & timestamp

Post by clix »

Hi Gostev, restoring files directly to target Linux VM would be great.

What I mean by "Add to archive" is to have another option when you "right click" a folder in FLR. Like in Windows, when you right click a folder there are many options available of what you can do.

In this instance, for Veeam Linux FLR we could have the option of Zipping/tar the folder to create a .zip or .tar (prefer .tar for Linux) archive which we could then uncompress in the Linux VM OS. This would keep all the ownership, timestamp & permissions of the files when you unzip in the target VM.

I hope this makes sense :)