Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
albertstain
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Albert

FLR restore speed and estimated restore size

Post by albertstain »

Hi, seems to be a fairly common question so apologies for repeating.

I am attempting to perform an FLR restore of our file server to a new disk. The location of the Veeam backup files are on an iSCSI drive on the same network with 10G Ethernet.

We have about 750GB worth of data (a lot of files and folders with deep folder structures) and the server was running dedupe. FLR seems to be going at 4-5MB/s and has estimated the restore size to be 1.9TB. Can I actually expect this to be this size after restore? Is this the speed to expect? Would it be faster to restore a .vmdk or spin up a duplicate machine to copy the data from?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: FLR restore speed and estimated restore size

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums. The question about low speed always depends on hardware sizing and software versions, so it's hard to guess without more detailed information (RAM, CPU, numbers of disks, 10k, 7.2k disks etc.). Are you using update 4 (there were FLR performance enhancements in that version)?
and the server was running dedupe.
you are talking about the repository server?

The file size after restore will be the original file size.

There are many possible reasons... I have seen accidental restores over WAN a couple of times for example. Support can also help.

Best regards,
Hannes
cyrcermars
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Cyr Cer

Re: FLR restore speed and estimated restore size

Post by cyrcermars »

Hello, don't use the GUI of the FLR to perform the file/folder selection and the targeting.

If you do, it's your VBR server which will manage all the transactions, creating a bottleneck if there's lot of files.
If you want to improve the restore rate, you want to use only the FLR and the target without intermediary system

As soon as the appliance is started, keep the GUI open (if you close, the appliance will shutdown)
After that, try to connect on it via ssh (with root and the password sets in your credentials db) and browse into the mount point point of your restore point and use the ssh command:

tar -czvf - /src/dir | ssh remotehost "(cd /dst/dir ; tar -xzvf -)"

which send a "tar copy" of your folder/files directly to the remote host which will "untar" it directly in his filesystem

In this way i manage to get a 30 Go/hour speed

Another possibility: You can try to use directly FTP from the the target to the FLR

Hope this help (sorry for bad english)