Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jason

Force Network Traffic Back to a Specific Network?

Post by mcsmithSOP »

We've set up a tunnel to our remote location for off-site copy jobs. Every so often the internet connection drop out of a few minutes. As per the documentation:
If a connection over preferred network(s) cannot be established for some reason, Veeam Backup & Replication will automatically fail over to the production network.
Is there a way to force the traffic back to correct network, or is there a way to specify a timeout for how long the network has to be unavailable before it fails over to production?

It is very frustrating to see my T1 totally consumed (thank goodness for QoS) when the internet tunnel is back up already. (Especially since I know the backup copy jobs will not complete before the interval expires anyway.)
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Force Network Traffic Back to a Specific Network?

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Are there any warnings in Backup Copy Job log? Have you measured what's the longest down-time the tunnel had? The reason why I'm asking is because in case of a network failure Backup Copy Job should attempt to reconnect several times before failing to production.

Thanks.
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Post by mcsmithSOP »

No, but it jogged my memory that it did when I took it off-site and didn't have the static route set. I checked the preferred networks (which I should've done first) and the other admin added the production network to the list when I was on holidays. Doh!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

So, I assume that everything should work well now. Should you have further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Post by mcsmithSOP »

That wasn't it. :(

Our ISP had a massive outage earlier today. After it came back up and verifying the backup network tunnel was working, I restarted the copy jobs and they are running on the production network.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

That's unexpected, please open a case with support team and post your case ID in this thread.

Thanks
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Post by mcsmithSOP »

Opened case # 01826621.
mcsmithSOP
Enthusiast

Post by mcsmithSOP »

Support suggested assigning the backup network NIC to first priority. It was already set that way on the repositories, but I changed the order on the Veeam server/proxy. Since it's a random event, I'm just waiting a while to see if the issue doesn't occur again.