Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
theflakes
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Kellogg

Force Veeam to use backup network

Post by theflakes » Jul 27, 2013 6:37 pm

We are going to be migrating to a new VMware environment soon. We have NICs dedicated to VMotion over a 10Gb NIC. This is an isolated network. Our Veeam backup server will be connected to this network via 10Gb as well. How do we force the Veeam server to use this network to backup and not our 1Gb production network? vCenter will be a VM with a NIC on both networks. Veeam is on a physical server. We are using shared SAS for our storage with three hosts. Do we just put host entries and the vCenter server in the Veeam server that resolve the vmware host DNS names to the isolated 10Gb vmotion network?

thanks

Gostev
SVP, Product Management
Liked: 3402 times

Re: Force Veeam to use backup network

Post by Gostev » Jul 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Nice, your backups will fly... especially with v7.

This networking stuff is not specific to Veeam or any other application for that matter, because it happens on lower OSI level... you are right, just make sure hosts' DNS names resolve to IP addresses in 10Gb network on your backup server, and then it is up to Windows OS to use the correct NIC to reach the IP address on 10 Gb network.

One other thing to remember - since network processing mode (NBD) uses ESXi management network, remember to make 10Gb network a management network in ESXi settings.

I assume you are going to storage backups right on Veeam server? But if not, all the same stand for backup repositories as well - you want to keep them on 10Gb network, and also make sure their DNS names are resolving to IP addresses of backup repository NICs on 10Gb network.

yizhar
Service Provider
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: Yizhar Hurwitz

Post by yizhar » Jul 27, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi.

You can also consider deploying a backup proxy VM that will use hot add (appliance mode) and will have direct access to the SAS storage.

Just another option to check - I'm not saying that it is better.

Yizhar

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Jul 28, 2013 5:40 pm

NBD on 10 Gb will work much faster than hot add. Both will bottleneck storage, however NBD does not have additional delays from hot add and hot remove processes, which take noticeable time.

yizhar
Service Provider

Post by yizhar » Jul 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Gostev wrote: NBD on 10 Gb will work much faster than hot add. Both will bottleneck storage, however NBD does not have additional delays from hot add and hot remove processes, which take noticeable time.
Hi.

1. I agree with above statement.

2. But there are also advantages to hotadd mode, such as:

Faster restore (the original poster can check full VM restore time in both modes to compare).

I'm not sure which mode will work faster, as it will also depend on proxy placement, parallel processing, and target performance, and also how powerful the backup server is and if he wants to use production resources (CPU+RAM) during backup or only backup machine horse power.
I guess that in the end both methods will provide similar results.
Both methods will use esxi resources (NBD will mostly use network links, while hotadd will use CPU+RAM, and both will use disk access).
Hotadd might still be more efficient in some cases, and NBD in other.

I suggest testing both modes during full and also incremental backups, but anyway keeping a ready to use VM for hotadd can be used for faster restore when/if needed.

Yizhar

Gostev
SVP, Product Management

Post by Gostev » Jul 28, 2013 10:15 pm

Interesting, I just realized that I never heard about full VM restore performance over NBD on 10Gb Ethernet. I've had so many backup performance numbers sent to me, but never restore numbers. Anyone tried to perform NBD restore over 10Gb?

tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2209 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » Jul 29, 2013 1:32 am 1 person likes this post

In general, NBD mode is not a bottleneck for restores with 10Gb.

dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1603 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » Jul 29, 2013 7:58 am

Just a quick reply for the Opener: we have almost the same configuration in our datacenter, and in order to be sure backup traffic is flowing into the desired networks, all the Veeam components (proxies and repositories) are saved into Veeam by their IP addresses.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2019
Veeam VMCE #1

yizhar
Service Provider

Post by yizhar » Jul 29, 2013 9:48 pm

Gostev wrote: Interesting, I just realized that I never heard about full VM restore performance over NBD on 10Gb Ethernet. I've had so many backup performance numbers sent to me, but never restore numbers. Anyone tried to perform NBD restore over 10Gb?
Indeed - interesting to check.

I was referring to the issue mentioned here by Luca:

http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 261#p82918

http://cormachogan.com/2013/07/18/why-i ... s-so-slow/

The issue is not only the transport protocol (NBD vs Hot/add), but also the write semantics to the VMFS datastore.
I don't know if and what difference will be, and it is mentioned by tsightler that Hotadd method also has overhead:
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 261#p83251

So it would be interesting to check and share the results comparing whatever methods available, while checking overhead on production hosts resources, in both backup and restore.

Yizhar

dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1603 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » Jul 30, 2013 8:03 am

Thanks to that article, we are right now preparing an NFS datastore in our datacenter. The idea would be to use it for vmdk restores, and then use storage vmotion to move the restored VM into our production datastores, that are all iSCSI right now. Probably I'll be able to do some tests, but not so soon. I trust Tom, he's always right in his findings :)

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2019
Veeam VMCE #1