Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
JackT
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jack T.

Full backups

Post by JackT »

Hello all,

Can someone please tell me how the full backups work? We've just gone through one, and I thought it was rolling all the incrementals into one big backup. However, our incrementals don't ever go above 1TB, and this full backup is way larger than it should be, totalling at 3.4TB. Now that's strange but isn't the main issue, the main issue is we don't have enough space on our tapes to fit all of this data. We have Quantum LTO 5 tapes with 1.3TB each, and these absurdly sized backups are burning through them like a fire burning through wood. Now, we have had these sized backups last month too, those were trying to copy the full backup from the previous month because I erased the tape with the full backup on it. I erased said tape to make more space for the size of the backup. I would be okay with inflated backup sizes IF we have the storage capacity to deal with it, but we unfortunately don't. Does anyone have any suggestions why this could be? Could it be anything to do with having almost triple the amount of restore points that we're meant to have? Is it because of any particular settings we have enabled? Cases #05643959 and #05658745 for those interested. We've had this issue for the past month, and even after attempting a fix (Not erasing the tapes), it's still not working.

Thanks,
Jack
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Full backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Jack, it is really hard to guess what is (if anything) wrong with your setup as you didn't share what type of fulls you're dealing with and what are the job settings, etc. I bet support engineers will be able to help after a quick review of your installation. Please continue working with them. Thanks!