Full or Synthetic Full?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Full or Synthetic Full?

Veeam Logoby HendersonD » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:09 pm

Perhaps setting up a second backup job with the target being the Exagrid is a better route to go. With a backup job I can specify a synthetic full every once in awhile which will avoid the transform process on the Exagrid. Is there a way to create a Backup job that has as its source the files from my current backup (Nimble array in my DR site) and the target being the Exagrid? Just thinking that having two backup jobs, both with the Nimble array in production as source and with different targets (Nimble array in DR and Exagrid) would put a lot of strain on my production array
HendersonD
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:16 am

HendersonD wrote:This does avoid the transformation process on the Exagrid but if I am reading this correctly, the "Read the entire restore point from source" will send a large amount of data from my source (Nimble Storage array in my DR site) to the Exagrid. The Exagrid is at my ISP across a 500Mbps connection. Wouldn't sending this amount of data across this connection be problematic? I am backing up about 5TB total.

That`s correct. Since entire new full need to be taken not from Exagrid, it should be transmitted there.
HendersonD wrote:Is there a way to create a Backup job that has as its source the files from my current backup (Nimble array in my DR site) and the target being the Exagrid?

No, backup job backs up VMs, so its source are VMs. Otherwise it would do exactly what backup copy job does.
To sum everything up I would suggest to try backup + backup copy job running in a default forever incremental mode to see how much time it`s going to take.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 395 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby HendersonD » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Yes, it looks like it comes down to two choices:

Run a Backup job that takes it from the Nimble in Production to the Nimble in DR. I am running this job now and it takes about 45 minutes each evening. Run a Backup Copy job that takes it from the Nimble in DR to the Exagrid offsite. Backup Copy jobs by default run as forever forward incremental. On the Exagrid once the restore points exceed the retention it will do the transform on the Exagrid. Best practice for Exagrid is to not do a transform on their box but with this method there is no way to avoid it.

Run two Backup jobs
1. Nimble in Production to Nimble in DR with forever forward incremental. Might do the compaction once a month. I am running this job now and it takes about 45 minutes each evening
2. Nimble in Production to Exagrid offsite. Forever forward incremental with a periodic synthetic full. The period synthetic full will keep the Exagrid from ever doing the transform. The Exagrid box offsite has the data mover service on it so the synthetic full happens on the Exagrid which the box is well suited for.

I am leaning towards two backup jobs. One last question. Both methods are doing an incremental to the Exagrid off campus, just one does it with a Backup job and one does it with a Backup Copy job. Either way, the amount of data I am moving across my 500 Mbps connection is the same, correct?
HendersonD
Enthusiast

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Yes, in both cases same amount of data should be transformed, but in a case of backup copy job you can leverage WAN Accelerator.
Besides with backup copy job you don`t need to create another backup each time.
Thanks
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 395 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:58 am

HendersonD wrote:The period synthetic full will keep the Exagrid from ever doing the transform. The Exagrid box offsite has the data mover service on it so the synthetic full happens on the Exagrid which the box is well suited for.

Questionable statement. In both cases all the synthetic activity (either transform or synthetic full) is performed locally on Exagrid, the difference is in amount of I/O performed daily (transform) or weekly (synthetic full). That's why, as I've mentioned above, you should check how long synthetic full will take.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1080 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication