Guest VM Windows 2012 Storage Spaces Support?

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

Re: Guest VM Windows 2012 Storage Spaces Support?

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am

I´m not from support, but I saw a statement at the code change request, that our support can repair the chain by editing some database entries.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Liked: 351 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Veeam Logoby millahjovich » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:00 am

Hey.!!
Gostev wrote:basically right now "Veeam is really behind on supporting this extremely useful new feature" based on the amount of requests for this feature (which is the only measurement of true importance for us). Besides, Storage Spaces have completely different purpose: they are designed to create a redundant storage out of JBODs for hypervisor to use. They are not meant to be used from within VMs. Out of curiosity, can you share your use case for using Storage Spaces within the VM? Thanks!
Hello I Am Millah
millahjovich
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Millah Jovich

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:09 am

Hi Millah, yes, this was the answer from one of our Produkt Managers.

Microsoft do not support storage spaces within a VM and so Veeam didn´t developed an enhancement for our File Level Recovery wizards. Over the years I am aware of only 2 requests within Central EMEA and both used it with Microsoft Applications which are not supported in any way on storage spaces (if in a VM or physical). If you use Storage Spaces for Backup Targets, Veeam can use them (CIFS/iSCSI Repository).
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Andreas Neufert » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:29 am

Other than Deduplication, Dyn Disks and others, Storage Spaces volumes are not detected on the fly by windows. A manual import process needs to be done and based on a dicussion with some MS guys these can not be mounted "only" to Win FLR. So pretty much not on the fly compatible with our WinFLR process. As Microsoft do not support these configurations (Storage Spaces within a VM) and the very limited feedback from our customer base, I think adding this would be wasted ressources at DEV/QA team. In that time they can develop other cool stuff that helps all of us.
Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby jonhocut » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Gostev,

It's a darned shame that this isn't something that works with FLR. We have been using storage spaces for years in order to leverage tiered storage. We create some small vmdks on our faster storage and mark them as SSDs in storage spaces and create large vmdks on our bulk storage and mark them as HDDs. Windows 2012 R2 then does a great job sorting based on access and a high percentage of the files that get touched end up being on the fast disk. All this on totally commodity HP MSA storage.

The fact that it isn't supported by Microsoft sounds like FUD to me. They support it just fine in Azure and I sincerely doubt they're installing physical disks there. Or maybe I'm just grumpy because I recently rebuilt two file servers to be Veeam-compatible and now that I see this I get to go rebuild them again...
jonhocut
Lurker

Full Name: Jon Hocut

Veeam Logoby ChuckS42 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:31 am

Just stumbled across this. Very disappointed that Storage Spaces are not supported in FLR. I see there are reasons, but y'all are smart and can figure them out. Our use case was to aggregate one volume across several VMDK files for (alleged) performance reasons. The instant-VM-restore route will be a major PITA. Very disappointed.
ChuckS42
Enthusiast

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Chuck Stevens

Veeam Logoby getontoit99 » Tue May 09, 2017 4:29 am

While evaluating Veeam Backup and Recovery to replace Azure Backup Server for VM backups, we have just run into this issue.

We'd like to recover files from our file server VM backups (created with VeeamB&R), but the D: drive in the VM is a Storage Spaces volume. This was done deliberately to get around the limitation in Azure Site Recovery that requires disks (.VHD/.VHDX) in replicated VMs to be no larger than 1TB. Yes, we replicate this VM to Azure Site Recovery for DR purposes, as well as back it up with Veeam.

Veeam has made a point of stating that Microsoft says Storage Spaces aren't supported in VMs, but they are supported in Azure VMs. That contradiction hurts my head...but as Veeam doesn't support FLR from Storage Spaces volumes, it looks like VBR won't fit our needs and we'll have to look elsewhere.

Starting up a copy of the VM just to get a file out is cumbersome and slow; a pain down and round the back as someone already said.
getontoit99
Lurker

Veeam Logoby getontoit99 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:01 pm

Hoping PTide is still watching this thread and acknowledging that post was a long time ago...

Our Veeam server is the same version of Windows (Windows Server 2012R2) as the VM with Storage Spaces we are trying to recover files from. Still can't see the Storage Spaces volume in the VM. And doing a so-called Instant Recovery of the VM to get a single file out is too much work.
getontoit99
Lurker

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon May 15, 2017 4:42 pm

In his post above Pavel stated that having backup server running the same OS version as the VM might allow you to import Storage Spaces there, prior to performing FLR. Have you tried that?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1063 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Previous

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication