Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StrangeWill
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: William Roush

Handling Permissions For Lab On MSSQL

Post by StrangeWill »

How does everyone else handle injecting permissions/running scripts on you staging environment for MSSQL?

There are a few options, including granting Veeam full access to the SQL server, but keeping that account sitting there all day makes me kind of uncomfortable, is there a way we can enable it only during the snapshot for the backup, and disable it afterwards?

Of course we want to keep this automated, where Veeam will start our lab, log in, and manipulate the database slightly. Any ideas?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Handling Permissions For Lab On MSSQL

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi William,

Do you refer to On Demand sandbox functionality where you can spin up the production SQL Server VM?

Thanks!
StrangeWill
Influencer

Post by StrangeWill »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi William,

Do you refer to On Demand sandbox functionality where you can spin up the production SQL Server VM?

Thanks!
Yes I am.

I've considered using VMware's tools pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts to grant the staging account access/revoke it on the backup, is there a better option than this?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

If you're going to use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts, then application-aware image processing with an ability to truncate database logs will not be possible. So for all databases in Full recovery mode you will have to do it via 3rd party tools. In your case I would suggest granting the required permissions to "staging" accounts prior the job start and then removing these permissions after backup job is complete.
StrangeWill
Influencer

Post by StrangeWill »

Vitaliy S. wrote:If you're going to use pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts, then application-aware image processing with an ability to truncate database logs will not be possible. So for all databases in Full recovery mode you will have to do it via 3rd party tools. In your case I would suggest granting the required permissions to "staging" accounts prior the job start and then removing these permissions after backup job is complete.
How do you suggest I do that? Veeam doesn't give me the ability to run pre-backup, only post-backup scripts. Plus that means the account is available during the entire backup window.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You can use Windows Task Scheduler to run your scripts which will assign the required permissions and then use PowerShell to start the backup job.