Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Springer

hardened Linux vs WAN Accelerator

Post by dspringer »

Hi folks

We are replacing the backup server at a remote site next week, and since Veeam will be switching from Windows to Hardened Linux this year, we have already started with our service provider at this site. The hardware is still next door to me and therefore does not yet have the final network configuration. Three different disk types are installed in the server, so that one raid each was planned for the system, repository and WAN cache.

The service provider reported that in addition to the main installation of the repo on the Linux server, a separate VM may be required for the service of proxy and WAN accelerator.
He was accordingly pleased when we were suddenly allowed to roll out the proxy on Linux.

So before I get down to work next week, I'd like to ask carefully: Is it perhaps even possible (as with Windows) to run the WAN Accelerator completely on the Linux server?
Otherwise, his plan is to provide the existing RAID for the cache in Linux and connect it in a Windows VM via Samba or iSCASI.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2366 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: hardened Linux vs WAN Accelerator

Post by Mildur »

Hello David

Wan Accelerator can only run on windows machines: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ccelerator
The hardware is still next door to me. Three different disk types are installed in the server, so that one raid each was planned for the system, repository and WAN cache.
How will that be deployed? Are you planing to use the hardware to deploy virtual machines on it?
The backup server (Veeam Backup & Replication) and WAN Accelerator will require a Windows machine. And a hardened repository server must be a Linux machine.
and connect it in a Windows VM via Samba
The cache disk must be a local disk (or iSCSI/FC). It cannot be SMB share.
his plan is to provide the existing RAID for the cache in Linux
Please let me share some security considerations for our hardened repository:
- Do not run non-veeam services or applications on a hardened repository. You can and it is supported, but it also makes the hardened repository more vulnerable against attacks.
- Do not run a hardened repository as a virtual machine. An attacker can just delete the virtual machine and all backups are gone. Use the hardware with the local disk as your hardened repository only.

If possible, please use another hypervisor to deploy VMs for the backup server and WAN Accelerator.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
dspringer
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: David Springer

Re: hardened Linux vs WAN Accelerator

Post by dspringer »

Sorry, perhaps a little too roughly described and wrongly expressed. Sometimes it's a bit easier in your own mother tongue ;)

The main server is a Windows server here at my place. The component that will be replaced next week is currently also Windows at the external location and combines repository, WAN accelerator and proxy. The jobs are defined accordingly at our site.
Therefore: No, nothing else will be installed or VMs provided on the new HP ProLiant. For the sake of simplicity, it was given disks for 3 different arrays, as we always had the WAN accelerator on the server in Windows in the past. Now Array1 is the Linux installation, Array2 is the hardened repository and Array3 is the part for the accelerator originally taken over from the Windows world.

It would be a shame if the array with the SSD NVME were to remain unused. Hence the plan to use this for a Windows VM, which then only has compute for its own operation.