Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
perjonsson1960
Veteran
Liked: 47 times
Full Name: Per Jonsson

Health check failed

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Folks,

We have a backup job that backs up one single VM, and the health check fails every time. This is the error:

"Failed to verify backup file metadata Error: Stopped by job 'Datacenter-02 Backup MivaHS1' (Backup)"

Is there an easy way to rectify this? For example, perform an Active Full backup instead of a synthetic, or some other action?
The backup seems to work fine. At least, there are no errors. And the VBM file is readable, so it doesn't seem to be damaged.

Kind regards,
PJ
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Health check failed

Post by Mildur »

Hello PJ

Looks to me as the backup job "Datacenter-02 Backup MivaHS1" has started before the health check was finished for this machine. Can you confirm that?
Please make sure that the health check has enough time to finish before the backup job starts it's next session.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

This scenario has happened a couple of times in other jobs, as well, but then it has always worked the next time around. But in this case it fails every time.

The job runs once every 24 hours, and the health check is done once a month, and fails immediately. And then the backup starts, and seems to work fine. The incremental backup takes under 10 minutes, it is a small VM. This job, "Datacenter-02 Backup MivaHS1", is chained with another similar job, "Datacenter-02 Backup MivaHS2", that starts after. And the health check is done on the same day of the month in both jobs, and it always works in the second job.

Is there any use to "unchain" the jobs and give them individual start times, to see if it is a problem related to chained jobs? Or is that a waste of time?

It is a pity that it is not possible to run a health check manually.

PJ
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

I think I see the problem now. When I scrutinize the settings for the job, I see that there is a time of day when the health check should start. And for this particular job, that time is the same as the start time for the job. I guess that is no good. This is new to me, in v11 I don't remember specifying a time of day for the health check, only a day of the month. So if I change the time for the health check, I am sure that this will work just fine.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi PJ

Yes, since v12 health checks have their own schedule. We recommend to schedule them outside of your backup window.
Let me know if you see the same issue again after adjusting the start time of the health check.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 »

Will do.
An exception to the rule seems to be NAS/File share backups, where you still only specify a day, and not a time of day.
perjonsson1960
Veteran

Post by perjonsson1960 » 1 person likes this post

It works now.
Thanks! ;-)

Kind regards,
PJ