health check status function

Availability for the Always-On Enterprise

health check status function

Veeam Logoby baber » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:27 pm

3 questions about health check :

1- Is health check a separate job or we have to run a backup job and it will be run during that backup ??
for example can run health check just every friday ?

2- if health check run and check my backups and find my full backup job is corrupted will it delete just full backup from backup repository and create a new full backup ?

3 - if health check run and check my backups and find my incremental backup chain is corrupted will that delete all of incremental chain from corrupted from backup repository backup and will get new incremental backup ?
baber
Expert

Liked: never
Full Name: Babak Saedi nejad

Re: health check status function

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi,

Health check is a part of the backup job and executes when the processing is done. Yes, you can run a health check every Friday or every month.
You should keep in mind that health check doesn't check files, but checks the most recent restore point (contained in several files of the backup chain).
Please read this article in the User Guide as it describes all possible corruption scenarios and actions performed by Health check in those cases. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Liked: 73 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Veeam Logoby baber » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Dear friend
so thanks

but in previous post i said to you i read all of that document about health check perform in document said :

If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the full backup file, Veeam Backup & Replication marks the backup chain starting from this full restore point as corrupted in the configuration database. During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

from this part : During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

i understand this :

if health check detect my full backup file is corrupt will be delete that and create a new full backup
is that correct ?
baber
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:12 pm

No, it depends on what exactly have been corrupted.
There are two possible scenarios:
1. Backup metadata in the full backup file. In this case a new full backup file will be created during the retry job and the corrupted backup chain will be removed according to retention settings.
2. VM disk blocks in the full backup file. During the retry job valid data blocks will be delivered to the latest restore point file and the backup chain will be preserved. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby baber » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:55 pm

excuseme

i am confused :

imagine i set the perform backup file health check on last friday of every month now we have 2 scenario :
1- the perform health check will be start and detect my full backup has corrupted now will it delete corrupt full backup and get full backup?
2-the perform health check will be start and detect my incremental backup has corrupted now will it delete all incremental backups from corrupt incremental backup and get new incremental backup?

3- i don't understand your means from retry job because here previously we get full or incremental backups and now when it is perform health check detect corrupt for full or incremental what is your means about retry job here

BR
baber
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Please keep in mind health check don't delete corrupted files, those files can be deleted only by retention rule.
As I mentioned in the previous post, it depends on what exactly corrupted in the backup file: metadata or VM disk blocks.
So, health check initiates a separate job session called "health check retry" in case of detecting corrupted data.

1. If the metadata corrupted - retry will create a new full backup file without deleting previous one.
If the VM disk blocks corrupted - retry will create a new increment file and will store valid data blocks in it without deleting previous backup chain (details described in User Guide here).
2. The metadata corruption - mark the increment and all subsequent increments as corrupted in the configuration database and create a new increment during retry session.
The VM disk blocks - the same behavior as in case #1.
3. That behavior described in the User Guide, I will quote for you: "If the health check detects corrupted data, Veeam Backup & Replication completes the backup job with the Error status and starts the health check retry process." Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby baber » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 pm

i know when we get backup it get a file (vbm- veeam backup metadata) in document said this file contain informations about backup files now can you give an example what does means metadata files corrupted?

2 - can you give an example about The VM disk blocks corrupt?

BR
baber
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:59 pm

The .vbm file contains information about the backup chain.
The metadata contained in every file of the backup chain or any other file in the Windows system like jpeg files, mp3 and so on.

2. Every backup file consists of VMs disk data blocks and metadata, so VMs disk data blocks can be replaced and metadata isn't. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby baber » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Thanks

Can you please give an example for
1- metadata corrupt
2- vm disk block corrupt

BR
baber
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:40 am

You can find examples in one of my previous posts, also possible scenarios described in the User Guide here. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby baber » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:24 pm

so thanks
but you said we have 2 scenario

1- backup file metadata corrupt
2-backup data file corrupt

when will be happen backup metadata corrupt and when will be happen backup data file corrupt?

BR
baber
Expert

Veeam Logoby DGrinev » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Dear Babak,

You cannot predict when metadata will be corrupted or when the VM disk block, it depends on too many conditions. Thanks!
DGrinev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby baber » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:56 pm

i understand these about metadata corrupt and vm data block corrupt are these correct?

1 - metadata corrupt : is contain all of data that are in backup files full or incremental such as mp3,dat.

2- vm data block corrupt : each of vm backup file has contain many data block
baber
Expert

Veeam Logoby baber » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:49 pm

and some questions :

3 - in documaind said : At the end of the backup job session, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the health check

when i enable perform health check it will automatically run health check after every backup ?

4- in document said : If the health check detects corrupted data, Veeam Backup & Replication completes the backup job with the Error status and starts the health check retry process. The health check retry starts as a separate backup job session.

what does means from that? the health check is running and detect corrupt data thus why said if health check detect corrupt data start health check retry process?
baber
Expert

Veeam Logoby baber » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:38 am

5 -in document said : If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the full backup file :

During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

i could not understand means from "transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it. "

is that means if detect corrupt data for full backup delete full backup from repository and get a new full backup ?

6 - in document said "If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the incremental backup file"
During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports incremental data relatively the latest valid restore point in the backup chain from the source datastore, creates a new incremental backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

is that means if detect corrupt incremental backup file will that delete all incremental backups from corrupted and then get new incremental backup ??
baber
Expert

Next

Return to Veeam Backup & Replication