Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
baber
Veteran
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Babak Seyedi nejad

health check status function

Post by baber »

3 questions about health check :

1- Is health check a separate job or we have to run a backup job and it will be run during that backup ??
for example can run health check just every friday ?

2- if health check run and check my backups and find my full backup job is corrupted will it delete just full backup from backup repository and create a new full backup ?

3 - if health check run and check my backups and find my incremental backup chain is corrupted will that delete all of incremental chain from corrupted from backup repository backup and will get new incremental backup ?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: health check status function

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Health check is a part of the backup job and executes when the processing is done. Yes, you can run a health check every Friday or every month.
You should keep in mind that health check doesn't check files, but checks the most recent restore point (contained in several files of the backup chain).
Please read this article in the User Guide as it describes all possible corruption scenarios and actions performed by Health check in those cases. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

Dear friend
so thanks

but in previous post i said to you i read all of that document about health check perform in document said :

If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the full backup file, Veeam Backup & Replication marks the backup chain starting from this full restore point as corrupted in the configuration database. During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

from this part : During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

i understand this :

if health check detect my full backup file is corrupt will be delete that and create a new full backup
is that correct ?
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

No, it depends on what exactly have been corrupted.
There are two possible scenarios:
1. Backup metadata in the full backup file. In this case a new full backup file will be created during the retry job and the corrupted backup chain will be removed according to retention settings.
2. VM disk blocks in the full backup file. During the retry job valid data blocks will be delivered to the latest restore point file and the backup chain will be preserved. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

excuseme

i am confused :

imagine i set the perform backup file health check on last friday of every month now we have 2 scenario :
1- the perform health check will be start and detect my full backup has corrupted now will it delete corrupt full backup and get full backup?
2-the perform health check will be start and detect my incremental backup has corrupted now will it delete all incremental backups from corrupt incremental backup and get new incremental backup?

3- i don't understand your means from retry job because here previously we get full or incremental backups and now when it is perform health check detect corrupt for full or incremental what is your means about retry job here

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Please keep in mind health check don't delete corrupted files, those files can be deleted only by retention rule.
As I mentioned in the previous post, it depends on what exactly corrupted in the backup file: metadata or VM disk blocks.
So, health check initiates a separate job session called "health check retry" in case of detecting corrupted data.

1. If the metadata corrupted - retry will create a new full backup file without deleting previous one.
If the VM disk blocks corrupted - retry will create a new increment file and will store valid data blocks in it without deleting previous backup chain (details described in User Guide here).
2. The metadata corruption - mark the increment and all subsequent increments as corrupted in the configuration database and create a new increment during retry session.
The VM disk blocks - the same behavior as in case #1.
3. That behavior described in the User Guide, I will quote for you: "If the health check detects corrupted data, Veeam Backup & Replication completes the backup job with the Error status and starts the health check retry process." Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

i know when we get backup it get a file (vbm- veeam backup metadata) in document said this file contain informations about backup files now can you give an example what does means metadata files corrupted?

2 - can you give an example about The VM disk blocks corrupt?

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

The .vbm file contains information about the backup chain.
The metadata contained in every file of the backup chain or any other file in the Windows system like jpeg files, mp3 and so on.

2. Every backup file consists of VMs disk data blocks and metadata, so VMs disk data blocks can be replaced and metadata isn't. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

Thanks

Can you please give an example for
1- metadata corrupt
2- vm disk block corrupt

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

You can find examples in one of my previous posts, also possible scenarios described in the User Guide here. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

so thanks
but you said we have 2 scenario

1- backup file metadata corrupt
2-backup data file corrupt

when will be happen backup metadata corrupt and when will be happen backup data file corrupt?

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Dear Babak,

You cannot predict when metadata will be corrupted or when the VM disk block, it depends on too many conditions. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

i understand these about metadata corrupt and vm data block corrupt are these correct?

1 - metadata corrupt : is contain all of data that are in backup files full or incremental such as mp3,dat.

2- vm data block corrupt : each of vm backup file has contain many data block
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

and some questions :

3 - in documaind said : At the end of the backup job session, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the health check

when i enable perform health check it will automatically run health check after every backup ?

4- in document said : If the health check detects corrupted data, Veeam Backup & Replication completes the backup job with the Error status and starts the health check retry process. The health check retry starts as a separate backup job session.

what does means from that? the health check is running and detect corrupt data thus why said if health check detect corrupt data start health check retry process?
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

5 -in document said : If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the full backup file :

During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

i could not understand means from "transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it. "

is that means if detect corrupt data for full backup delete full backup from repository and get a new full backup ?

6 - in document said "If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the incremental backup file"
During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports incremental data relatively the latest valid restore point in the backup chain from the source datastore, creates a new incremental backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

is that means if detect corrupt incremental backup file will that delete all incremental backups from corrupted and then get new incremental backup ??
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1173 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

1 - metadata corrupt : is contain all of data that are in backup files full or incremental such as mp3,dat.
No, metadata is related to the backup files. This can get corrupted due external factors for example. As said before you can't predict this.
2- vm data block corrupt : each of vm backup file has contain many data block
A VM contains data blocks which we save. If one or multiple of these get corrupted in the backup file we will try to recover it in a new backup file (can be full or incremental). This can also be related to external factors. Again we can't predict this.
in documaind said : At the end of the backup job session, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the health check

when i enable perform health check it will automatically run health check after every backup ?
Correct.
4. in document said : If the health check detects corrupted data, Veeam Backup & Replication completes the backup job with the Error status and starts the health check retry process. The health check retry starts as a separate backup job session.

what does means from that? the health check is running and detect corrupt data thus why said if health check detect corrupt data start health check retry process?
We will finish the backup job as stated. Then the health check runs and it will complete giving you an error status so you are aware of it and that the file is corrupt and we will try to recover it.
5 -in document said : If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the full backup file :

During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

i could not understand means from "transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it. "

is that means if detect corrupt data for full backup delete full backup from repository and get a new full backup ?
It means that if we detect corrupt blocks we get the correct data from the source datastore to create a new full backup file.
6 - in document said "If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the incremental backup file"
During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports incremental data relatively the latest valid restore point in the backup chain from the source datastore, creates a new incremental backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it.

is that means if detect corrupt incremental backup file will that delete all incremental backups from corrupted and then get new incremental backup ??
No, we will only delete the incremental which is corrupt and try to recover it in a new file. This is the same process as with a corrupt full backup: get the correct blocks from the source and recreate an incremental backup file.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

thanks but

1 - in documaind said : At the end of the backup job session, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the health check

when i enable perform health check it will automatically run health check after every backup ? you said Correct
but If fix enable perform health backup for last Friday of month will it another automatically run health check after every backup ?

2- Is your means from this “If the health check detects corrupted data, Veeam Backup & Replication completes the backup job with the Error status and starts the health check retry process. The health check retry starts as a separate backup job session.”

Health check detect corrupt data : is your means from the health check here the health check that will be run automatically after get each backup ?

3 - about this question :
-in document said : If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the full backup file :

is that means if detect corrupt data for full backup delete full backup from repository and get a new full backup ? your answer was if we detect corrupt blocks we get the correct data from the source datastore to create a new full backup file.

what is your means that we get correct data from datstore ????

6 - and when health check detect corrupt backup file (full or incremental) will that create new backup (full or diff) ??

BR
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1173 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

1 and 2. Veeam Backup & Replication performs the health check during the first job session on the day when the health check is scheduled. If another job session runs on the same day, Veeam Backup & Replication will not perform the health check during this job session. For example, if the job is scheduled to run several times on Saturday, and the health check is scheduled on Saturday, the health check will only be performed during the first backup job session on Saturday.

The health check run is based on your retention/setting in your job. More info can be found on: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 - so it will run during every backup when the option is enabled. In your case every last friday of the month.

3. The correct data is taken from the production datastore which we use to create a new full or incremental file (depending on which one is broken).

6. If a full is corrupt we create a full next to it. If an incremental is corrupt we create an incremental next to it.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

so thanks
but 2 of my questions not answered :

1 - if enable perform backup files health check after enable that it will check by default last friday of the month
but i want to know while enable perform backup file health will it just perform and run job for check backup file health just on friday or will be check backup file health check after every backup job ????
because in document said : "At the end of the backup job session, Veeam Backup & Replication performs the health check"

2 - you said health check backup job while detect corrupt data will be get new and Healthy data blocks from vms that is in production storage but i want to know is your means from that it will get new full backup or incremental and corrupt backup will be delete from repository according to job's retention policy ?

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

1. Health check will be performed one time after the first backup job on the last Friday of the month.
2. In both scenarios Veeam B&R will not delete corrupted backup file, it will wait till retention exceed and then delete expired backup chain.
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

so thanks

but in document said "If the health check has detected corrupted backup metadata in the full backup file, Veeam Backup & Replication marks the backup chain starting from this full restore point as corrupted in the configuration database. During the health check retry, Veeam Backup & Replication transports data blocks of the whole VM image from the source datastore, creates a new full backup file on the backup repository and saves transported data blocks to it. "

i understand this from above is that correct :

last friday of month after get last backup (full or incremental) health job check will be start and if detect corrupt backup file (full or incremental) will be mark that and will be get new backup from source and corrupted backup file (full or incremental) will be delete automatically backup file when retention exceeded
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

That's correct. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

while perform health check detect corrupt backup file , will repair corrupt backup file or will be get new backup (full or incremental )?

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

In both cases it will be a new backup file (full or incremental), depends on what exactly been corrupted. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

now if run health check for some backups in first step it will be check backup is ok or damage now there is 2 mode:

1- my backup is health now the perform health check job will be finish
2- if during perform health check detect my backup has been corrupt after checking will be finished it will be automatically start and will get new full or incremental backup ?

BR
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Yes, your understanding is correct. Thanks!
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

is that your means after perform health check if detect corrupt backup when perform health check finished , backup job will be start and will be get new backup (full or incremental) ??
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, it's called health check retry process, during it a new full or increment will be created. Thanks!
hoFFy
Service Provider
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Sebastian Hoffmann

Post by hoFFy »

:roll: just...wow!
VMCE 7 / 8 / 9, VCP-DC 5 / 5.5 / 6, MCITP:SA
Blog: machinewithoutbrain.de
baber
Veteran

Post by baber »

now i create a backup job and schedule it for run saturday and wednesday and i set perform full backup on monday now perform health check will be start automatically on monday or wednesday? because you said perfoem health check can not run as a seprate job such as backup job

BR